Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Is my 2017 iMac still protected under Monterrey MacOS 12.6.7?

I have an iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 (3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5) running under Monterrey 12.6.7., and I wonder if it is still protected.

I upgraded it to Venture about a year ago but the performance was bad so I went back to Monterrey.

During the last 10 days I have been receiving alerts to load Norton Antivirus to protect my iMac, which by the way, I cannot shut down the pop ups that come out every 10 seconds (or close to that frequency).

So I have two questions.

1) Is Monterrey still the best system for my iMac?, and

2) is my iMac still protected.

Thanks,

Julio

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 7:33 AM

If the alert is appearing in the upper right corner of your Mac's display, then it is a completely fraudulent, spurious scam. To stop those Notifications from appearing read Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community.

That User Tip also describes the reason for their appearance. It's not the work of a hacker. Unless you are that hacker 😄

On the other hand if that User Tip does not describe what you are encountering, then I will need more information. Needless to say "Norton" is junk that should never be installed on any Mac, but if you in fact installed it you may need some help getting rid of it.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2023 7:33 AM in response to Julio M

If the alert is appearing in the upper right corner of your Mac's display, then it is a completely fraudulent, spurious scam. To stop those Notifications from appearing read Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community.

That User Tip also describes the reason for their appearance. It's not the work of a hacker. Unless you are that hacker 😄

On the other hand if that User Tip does not describe what you are encountering, then I will need more information. Needless to say "Norton" is junk that should never be installed on any Mac, but if you in fact installed it you may need some help getting rid of it.

Sep 25, 2023 6:46 AM in response to Julio M

1. No, the best macOS is always the latest.
  2. Apple continues to support Monterey.

I don't know what you mean by "protected" though. Protected from what?

During the last 10 days I have been receiving alerts to load Norton Antivirus to protect my iMac, which by the way, I cannot shut down the pop ups that come out every 10 seconds (or close to that frequency).

To stop unwanted Notifications please read Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community

If your Mac is performing poorly something else is going on. Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Sep 25, 2023 7:08 AM in response to Julio M

Follow the previous excellent advise - First

If Apple continues its' past practices, macOS 12 Monterey will continue to receive Security Update for 3 Years from Date of Release

In that case, macOS 12 Monterey was released October 25, 2021.

Therefore, the Security Updates should continue until some time in 2024

Prime example >>About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.7

Keep your Mac up to date

Additional Links pertaining to Security Built into the Operating System

Mac app security enhancements

macOS - Security - Apple

Sep 25, 2023 7:10 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John.

My question about being protected was related to the continuous alert (apparently from Norton), because it looked much like a hacker's work.

I've been using Macs since 1982 (yes, I am old :).

I have a MacBook Air running on the latest Ventura OS no problem.

On the other hand, I tried Ventura twice on my iMac and had various problems, which were resolved when I reloaded Monterrey. You may be right in that there may be another type of issue but since I use my iMac for my consulting practice I can only afford so much of my time for trial and error.

From my little experience my iMac does much better under Monterrey.

Thanks again,

Julio

Sep 25, 2023 7:04 PM in response to Julio M

Julio M wrote:

1) Is Monterrey still the best system for my iMac?

Is there something in Ventura that you desperately want to have? If not, then Monterey will be fine.

2) is my iMac still protected.

Protected from what?

I assume you are asking about malware. That's a myth. Don't believe what you see on the internet. Mac's can't "get" viruses or other malware. Users must bypass multiple levels of Apple security protections to install malware. But it is the user that must install the malware - on purpose. Usually the hope is to run some expensive software for free or watch some movie for free. You won't get anything for free that way, but you would get malware. So if you don't do that, you'll be fine.

Is my 2017 iMac still protected under Monterrey MacOS 12.6.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.