Apple keeps deleting my (positive) review on the App Store

I gave a 5-star review for an alternative calendar app some days ago, positively referring to the clear interface design and to some initial iOS 17 related compatibility problems for with the developer has offered a workaround in the meantime. A few hours later I received an e-mail stating that my review "is not in compliance with the Apple Media Terms and Conditions, Submissions Guidelines under Section C" and that my review had been deleted.

After some hours I tried the same again, payed double attention to what I wrote (no violation recognizable at all to me), and this time I made a screenshot of my 5-star review before posting. Now I have received the same automated Apple e-mail again. No further explanation provided.

What is going wrong here, and why does Apple keep deleting positive reviews?

Original review, taken from screenshot:

"Clear and easy design

Best iOS calendar app so far. Design is very clear and easy to use. Especially week lavout is a problem with original iOS calendar, much better here. After initial iOS 17 iCloud issues there is a workaround now."

The app is called "OneCalendar".

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 12:55 PM

No, no resolution so far. But I have to admit that I wasn’t interested to talk to Apple support on the phone if they seem not interested. Yesterday I wrote an app review after a while, mentioning that the current version wouldn’t start on iOS 16.x on an old iPhone - and the review got deleted. Apple seems to use automated algorithms here which are out of control.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2024 12:55 PM in response to Riglewis

No, no resolution so far. But I have to admit that I wasn’t interested to talk to Apple support on the phone if they seem not interested. Yesterday I wrote an app review after a while, mentioning that the current version wouldn’t start on iOS 16.x on an old iPhone - and the review got deleted. Apple seems to use automated algorithms here which are out of control.

Sep 28, 2023 10:47 PM in response to Ali_E1

Thanks for the reply. No, my Apple ID was definitely not set up by a parent or anything but by myself years ago. I'm adult and have been using this Apple ID for all kinds of purchases and activities without any trouble for years. So this is definitely not the problem here.

Are you an Apple representative and can have a look into the details? Besides this forum entry I have contacted Apple support via e-mail 3 days ago but have not received an answer yet.

Sep 28, 2023 3:43 PM in response to oma42

Hey oma42,

Section C of the Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions page details Account requirements. The only thing we can see in this section that may be valid is the age equivalency. Was your Apple ID set up by a parent or legal guardian, educational institution, or any other type of mobile device management system? If so, this is likely why.

C. ACCOUNT 

Using our Services and accessing your Content may require an Apple ID. An Apple ID is the account you use across Apple’s ecosystem. Use of Game Center is subject to this Agreement and also requires a Game Center account. Your account is valuable, and you are responsible for maintaining its confidentiality and security. Apple is not responsible for any losses arising from the unauthorized use of your account. Please contact Apple if you suspect that your account has been compromised.

You must be age thirteen (13) (or equivalent minimum age in your Home Country, as set forth in the Apple ID creation process) to create an account and use our Services. Apple IDs for persons under this age can be created by a parent or legal guardian using Family Sharing or by an approved educational institution, though certain devices may prevent such Apple IDs from accessing certain Services on the device. A parent or legal guardian who is creating an account for a minor should review this Agreement with the minor to ensure that they both understand it.  

Legal - Apple Media Services - Apple

If this doesn't apply to you, try contacting Apple Support for specific answers regarding your account. You can connect from the Get Support portal in most countries.

Kindest Regards.

Jan 14, 2024 9:25 PM in response to oma42

Hi oma42,

i think there is a keyword in your original review which makes Apple’s automatic scan delete your review. I had the same problem. I guess they only check for that word and don’t check the context in which it is used, which is not so clever and not justified in my opinion.

I don’t want to repeat that word here (for obvious reasons) but you can see for yourself above if you look for the word i have replaced with “*” - you wrote:

“After initial iOS 17 iCloud issues there is a ********** now."

Kind regards.

Jan 14, 2024 9:51 PM in response to oma42

oma42 wrote:

Hi there,

I did contact Apple Support 3 days ago, and today they replied "Due to the nature of your request you'll need to speak with our support team by phone". This is ridiculous.

That is the route you will need to take. None of us have access to your account to provide any reason for your review to be deleted. Speaking to support by phone as directed in your email will probably give you the answer you are looking for. Anything else here is just speculation. Let us know what they say.

Apple keeps deleting my (positive) review on the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.