MacBook Pro M2Pro Clamshell > Eternal Monitor > NO POWER

With the planned obsolescence built into electronics batteries, I am inclined to want to preserve my battery health as long as possible by not constantly having it plugged in.

I unplug at night as I leave the office, but it only drains 10-15% overnight. When I plug back in next day, it charges to full in a couple minutes, and then, presumably, is harming the battery by constantly topping off.

HOW DO WE STILL NOT HAVE AN OPTION TO USE MACBOOK/CLAMSHELL/Cast to Ext. Monitor UNPLUGGED??

Is there any solution here?

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 7:06 AM

Leave the computer plugged in. Leaving it plugged in will not damage the computer or the battery. "Clamshell" mode has always required that the computer be plugged in.

Change Battery settings on a Mac laptop - Apple Support

Change Energy Saver settings on a Mac desktop computer - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 26, 2023 7:10 AM in response to Adamnater

Adamnater wrote:

See, I had always understood that leaving it plugged in when it's fully charged will harm battery health over time.

Your understanding is incorrect. The MacOS manages the power/charging system very well. There is no need for you to try to micromanage the system. In fact, leaving the computer plugged in reduces the rate of accumulation of battery cycles.

Sep 26, 2023 7:24 AM in response to Adamnater

Your Mac is not a cheap garbage toy, that charges itself to oblivion.

Your MacBook Pro  uses ‘smart charging’ to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues.

Connected power sources simply 'offer' their charging ability, and the computer decides what to accept and when. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

Any external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (including certain Docks and Displays) must negotiate over the USB cable using USB Power Delivery Protocol, and can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

Your Mac will NEVER overcharge.

MacBook Pro M2Pro Clamshell > Eternal Monitor > NO POWER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.