iPhone 8 Activation Issue: Update Required

Hello Apple Support Team,

After resetting all the data on my iPhone 8, when I turned on my mobile again, I encountered an error message. This error message read: "Unable to activate, an update is required to activate your iPhone."

I am seeking advice and assistance on how to resolve this activation issue and perform the required update. Thank you!"

iPhone 8

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 7:46 AM

Just a guess – but you might have to update the version of iOS on your iPhone 8 before re-activating your cellular plan with your phone company (carrier). The iPhone 8 originally ran iOS 11, but it can run iOS 16, which should be more than recent enough for the phone company.

I don't know if you'll be able to update over Wi-Fi or if you'll need to use iTunes/Finder (on a Mac or PC) to "push" the update down to the iPhone. You might need the help of a computer (to "update the device manually") if your phone is currently back more than a couple of versions from iOS 16.

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 7:46 AM in response to Faisal4772

Just a guess – but you might have to update the version of iOS on your iPhone 8 before re-activating your cellular plan with your phone company (carrier). The iPhone 8 originally ran iOS 11, but it can run iOS 16, which should be more than recent enough for the phone company.

I don't know if you'll be able to update over Wi-Fi or if you'll need to use iTunes/Finder (on a Mac or PC) to "push" the update down to the iPhone. You might need the help of a computer (to "update the device manually") if your phone is currently back more than a couple of versions from iOS 16.

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

iPhone 8 Activation Issue: Update Required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.