You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is the iphone 15 pro max battery life so short

I’m coming from an iPhone 11 and now I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max I have turned off 5G along with the always on display and I’m still not very impressed with this phones battery life and rate of consumption

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 8:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 2:29 PM

I am having the same problem with my new iPhone 15 pro max. I had an iPhone 13 Pro Max prior to this one and battery life was great even though it was 2 years old already. How can this problem be addressed?

15 replies

Sep 26, 2023 8:25 AM in response to Motorcycle_guru

Maybe because you are using it constantly, as its new. Or it hasn’t finished its background process of indexing content after the content move from the old phone. Or you’re not following best practices for charging.

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

If you charge overnight the battery should last through the day until the next nightly charge. If it does then it is working normally.

Sep 30, 2023 2:37 PM in response to Carolina N

As you apparently didn’t read the thread you posted to before reading it, I will repeat the answer I posted:

Maybe because you are using it constantly, as its new. Or it hasn’t finished its background process of indexing content after the content move from the old phone. Or you’re not following best practices for charging.

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

If you charge overnight the battery should last through the day until the next nightly charge. If it does then it is working normally.

Oct 23, 2023 2:30 PM in response to inioluwa290

inioluwa290 wrote:

Because of the way you use your battery
you may be over charging it

Nonsense. It is impossible to overcharge an iPhone battery, because the charger circuit in the phone monitors charging and stops when the battery is at 100%.

The best way to charge an iPhone, as recommended by Apple, is to plug it in overnight, all night. This also enables automatic nightly backup, so if disaster strikes you can’t lose more than a day’s content.

Oct 15, 2023 7:23 AM in response to Motorcycle_guru

Ive noticed the same problem with my iphone 15 pro max. My 13 pro max got simulair or better battery even when it was two years old.

Also optimized battery charging is by default turned on for all iphones. Changing this setting will not fix op’s battery consumption. Just the battery health over time might he affected my changing this setting.

Apr 8, 2024 2:18 PM in response to Motorcycle_guru

Upon checking Battery Level And Usage by App, "Home andLock Screen" kept draining the battery even when the Phone was not being used. After charging my battery to 80%, I unplugged it, went to sleep, when I woke up after 4 hours, the battery was at 69%. I turned off Background App months ago. I even killed the apps before locking my phone. It's so frustrating. My 13 Promax's Battery Health was at 85% after more than 2 years, but the battery lasts a whole day of heavy use.

why is the iphone 15 pro max battery life so short

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.