Missing IMessage Photos after ios17 update

Some, not all of my photos have disappeared from my iMessage info tab and from the message thread itself after updating from io16 to ios 17. It is happening across all contacts. It’s not necessarily old photos, some from the recent past are also missing. I can scroll back in the message thread and find the pictures, but they have disappeared from the info tab. In one case a photo is just gone altogether and replaced with a ‘?’ Inside a white box. I have tried toggling off messages from iCloud sync. When I did it have me a message they weren’t finished downloading from iCloud… 3 days after updating. I thought it wasn’t finished indexing, but now seems like a major bug. I opted to download them all and resymc messages with icloud. Messages are not showing up on the web based ‘icloud’ app list, but are showing as 17.3 GB worth of Icloud storage. Are these photos with ‘?’ gone for good? Anyone else having this issue?

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 9:31 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 3, 2023 1:09 PM in response to Keisha_Keisha

The photos are not deleted. They appear in the message thread, but don’t appear in the ‘see all’ section. There is one missing photo that just has a ‘?’ In one of the threads. Luckily I had saved that photo. But the ‘see all' functionality is not working at all. I have had ‘shared with you on’. The only thing that changed was upgrading to ios17. It seems others are having this same issue even with 17.02

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imessage-issues-in-ios-17-0-2-syncing-pictures-missing-history-not-loading-imessage-text-threads-not-fully-loading-imessage-search-not-working.2405517/

Missing IMessage Photos after ios17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.