Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

SMB Printing Issue's MacOS Sonoma

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing issues with SMB printing on macOS Sonoma. I previously attempted the encryption=no fix, which worked for similar problems in Monterey and Big Sur, but it doesn't seem to be effective in Sonoma.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with SMB printing on Sonoma, and if so, have you found any new solutions or workarounds? I'd greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions to resolve this issue.

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 11:32 PM

I was already using the FQDN and it wasn't working for me on Sonoma. So I added ?encryption=no to the print URL and now it is! Maybe you need both under Sonoma.

Incase others don't know about the '?encryption=no' fix, below link.

SMB Printing Breaks in 12.2 - Apple Community

18 replies

Sep 26, 2023 2:17 PM in response to DreadedDragon

I saw this from another user. Using the Fully Qualified Domain Name instead of an IP address.

They said.....

Anyway I managed to solve the problem moving from IP to FQDN of the Windows printserver ( SMB://printserver.domain.com/share.)

If you do, you probably would need to add an entry to your /etc/hosts file for the domain name.

Perhaps this might help you as well.

Oct 18, 2023 6:29 AM in response to 7-plus

I have worked with Sr. Support staff on SMB file sharing between an iPhone and iPad and a Mac. Authentication is broken and Apple is aware of it. When I attempt to can connect to my Mac (remote server) from the File App, I get an authentication error. This happens for a new account/user as well.

The workaround for this is to use the Guest account. You will need to give the Guest account (or the Everyone group) read & write permissions on the folders you want to to share but it works. Not sure its possible but you might try printing as a Guest?

Oct 3, 2023 7:27 AM in response to howhowRI

SMB Printing with the current 1st non-Beta release of Sonoma, has completely stopped SMB printing. I have spent many hours testing various configurations to get it to work with no success. Our setup requires printing from both lab computers, student laptops and staff laptops to PaperCut on a windows 2021 Server. Ventura works. I have to now switch to LPD printing as both Sonoma, and at least later versions of Ventura, allow User Authentication from the print menu. Neither Apple nor PaperCut are acknowledged this problem.

Oct 4, 2023 12:54 PM in response to MacAdminGoucher

The above solution worked for me temporarily but I am again at square 1, We too are running Jamf Pro and Papercut and the MacBooks we have tested on vary from Intels through M2's. Some of the admins in my department it still works for but for a majority of us the print job gets to the new "Print Center" that is when that job is in a waiting status. We have also tried the ?encryption=no but no luck, we are holding back the update for all users in the meantime until this gets resolved.

Oct 5, 2023 2:03 PM in response to DreadedDragon

I'm in the same boat - SMB auth/Windows printing through Papercut. We already went through the PrintNightmare, have been using FQDN all along. My colleague had the 'Waiting' issue with Sonoma beta, but was able to print after a fresh reinstall of the retail. I can't reproduce the problem but have now heard of three users of Sonoma retail seeing Waiting.

SMB Printing Issue's MacOS Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.