I am unable to make bootable USB flash drive.

Upon executing the command:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/UNT --nointeraction

The USB flash drive is being formatted, but subsequently, an error is encountered:

Couldn't extract BaseSystem to path: /Volumes/Install macOS Sonoma/BaseSystem. The bless of the installer disk failed.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 3:09 PM

Predicated on the Full Installer of Sonoma is located in the Application Folder of this computer

The Full Installer of Sonoma is about 12.9 GB in size

This link form Apple for creating a Bootable Installers

You may need to give Terminal “ Full Disk Access” from Privacy & Security in System Settings

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support (CA)

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2023 3:09 PM in response to Vyaut

Predicated on the Full Installer of Sonoma is located in the Application Folder of this computer

The Full Installer of Sonoma is about 12.9 GB in size

This link form Apple for creating a Bootable Installers

You may need to give Terminal “ Full Disk Access” from Privacy & Security in System Settings

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support (CA)

Sep 27, 2023 1:53 AM in response to Vyaut

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

The above Terminal Command has work for me where the destination drive was a 16 GB drive formatted HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

The drive was Directly connected to the computer ( No HUB involved )

Mar 16, 2024 1:25 PM in response to PRP_53

Was having the same issue with MacOS 14.4, getting a 513 permission error with a similar "unable to bless the install disk" message. Giving full disk access to the terminal app fixed the issue.

The original format of the target disk does not matter, as createinstallmedia will reformat the target to HFS Journaled as part of the creation process. Having a USB hub in the mix did not seem to matter, as it worked fine with the target media in a USB 3 hub.

May 1, 2024 4:41 AM in response to warmtone

Having used the below command on various versions of Sonoma including version 14.0 to and including version 14.4.1

The command worked each time on a USB Pendrive with a Drive Capacity of 16 GB

There might be a need to give Terminal application Full Disk Access via System Setting >> Privacy & Security >> Full Disk Access

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Mar 16, 2024 2:06 PM in response to Mdot

Repeating that which has already been suggested does not seem to add anything new to the issue at hand.

The original suggestion to format the drive in HFS Journaled is purely an optional choice

But in context to an earlier posting where APFS was referenced.

Though it a good idea to make specific suggestion to do otherwise Before attempting the Bootable Installer was attempted

Good to know though, using a USB HUB worked in your specific case

But Not ALL USB Hubs play niece.

That became an issue of big proportions, for some , going back to macOS 12 Monterey and forwards

Apr 30, 2024 11:34 PM in response to Vyaut

I have wasted hours trying to create a Sonoma boot usb.

I have followed precisely the apple support instructions and used a large USB memory stick as 16gb is too small.

The failure point is where the system tries to move files from the Sonoma Installer in the Apps folder to the USB stick.

I keep getting the same error:

"You don’t have permission to save the file “.IAPhysicalMedia” in the folder “Install macOS Sonoma”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Volumes/Install macOS Sonoma/.IAPhysicalMedia, NSUserStringVariant=Folder, NSUnderlyingError=0x600003e27570 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}

The bless of the installer disk failed

I tried downloading a second Sonoma Installer assuming maybe the Installer was somehow corrupt.

I got the same result......

Advice appreciated because I need to do a clean install as my M1 Studio takes about 45 seconds to boot(!)

The problem commenced after upgrading to Sonoma.

The M1 Mac Studio slower booting than the old 2008 Mac Pro it replaced (!)

Maybe Sonoma 14.4.1 has a few bugs???

May 1, 2024 1:06 AM in response to warmtone

Hi I tried the suggested APFS format and it failed:

Here's the complete dump from terminal:

% sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/MyVolume.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

APFS disks may not be used as bootable install media.

An error occurred erasing the disk.

I am unable to make bootable USB flash drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.