Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Issues with MacOS 14 Sonoma login page

I upgraded my MacBook Air M2 to Sonoma today for testing, before upgrading my important computer. My wife, who is visually impaired, will hate the new login screen with the tiny avatar pics at the bottom that she won't be able to find. Before with Ventura and previous, she could click on her big avatar pic in the middle of the screen and get going. The new layout will frustrate her. I'm not happy with it either.

Also, I went to "Lock Screen" to make sure that "Show Sleep, Restart, Shut Down buttons" is on. It is. When I logout, they do not appear anywhere on the lock screen. This is a bug!!!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2023 2:39 AM

I am not impaired but for me too, the login screen on Sonoma is a big step backwards. I understand the intention to not interrupt a nice background. But I am not getting to the login screen to watch backgrounds (who does anyway). I need one thing only, and that is to log in. So, logically the login information and input field need to be big and at the center. I do not get that unhealthy fixation on backgrounds anyway (and I AM a designer).

68 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2023 2:39 AM in response to beerguzzle

I am not impaired but for me too, the login screen on Sonoma is a big step backwards. I understand the intention to not interrupt a nice background. But I am not getting to the login screen to watch backgrounds (who does anyway). I need one thing only, and that is to log in. So, logically the login information and input field need to be big and at the center. I do not get that unhealthy fixation on backgrounds anyway (and I AM a designer).

Oct 31, 2023 1:04 PM in response to beerguzzle

This regressive approach to the login screen is straight up unnecessary. You've taken something functional and made it less so, for spurious reasons, if not purely for eye candy purposes. The only way you can fix it in its current state is to make all of the text shown there much larger, and also the input fields. If not a change offered to all users by default, make it a configuration option.

Oct 9, 2023 1:37 PM in response to beerguzzle

This feature was apparently added to not allow the text box to "get in the way" of the screen background aesthetics, but Apple should set an option under accessibility (or elsewhere) to allow users to have the login text box in the center. This is an unnecessary change which allows for no functional, usability or performance benefit.

Oct 24, 2023 1:14 PM in response to dialabrain

There's an aspect of “accessibility“ derived from User interface & User experience design. Which you're probably not really well fond of.

If the Login screen's purpose is silently faded away from this primary purpose to rather provide a cinematic background, date & time (as it it's your phone, what a laptop obviously isn't – you're barely interested in spending any extended time on the Login screen), while the primary purpose is suppressed & users have to seek the functionality, it's definitely a degradation. Big step back.

Oct 8, 2023 4:07 AM in response to Roquentin

This is helpful info for sighted users with full motor control, but it requires both mouse/trackpad use and vision.

It seems it is not possible to TAB between icons any more.

F4 and F7 and F8 will not place keyboard focus on the user-picker nor on the Restart/Shutdown/Sleep icon.

This design decision is hard to fathom. And hiding a pale, but clickable, button icon between three other pale but non-clickable icons is… inexplicable.

Sep 28, 2023 9:02 AM in response to johnny m. maloney

If you wear glasses that correct to 20/20 or close, then you are a normal human. My wife has optic nerve damage due to a stroke, lower right quadrant of the field of view missing, a prism, and correctable to only about 20/80 in the best of times. Right now she is also in the middle of cataract surgery too, one eye done so far. So her vision issues are complicated. Big, bright, and stationary are helpful with her computer usage. Sonoma's login page ain't it.

Apple's accessibility UI has been a godsend for her over the years. Closeview/zoom abilities are a must. The ability to highlight text and have VoiceOver read it are a huge win for her. Of course none of this starts until she gets logged in, which Sonoma just made a lot harder.

I sent email to Joanna Stern, the tech boffin at the Wall Street Journal, about this topic. I hope that she chimes in about Apple's regression on the login page.

Issues with MacOS 14 Sonoma login page

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.