Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Sonoma Menu bar color

when MacOS Ventura was installed on my MacBook, the color of the top menu bar was translucent and matched the color of the app. I just installed MacOS Sonoma, and it unfortunately is white, regardless of it being on dark mode, showing the notch a lot more than before. How do I change the color of the menu bar, or will it stay that way? Thanks

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 7:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 1:24 PM

The default Sonoma background has a very light sky, causing the menu bar to appear almost light gray. I changed to one of the "Earth" backgrounds as they all have black in the top of the image.

The menu bar is transparent. Most of the landscape backgrounds have sky in the top making the menu bar seem very light.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 1:24 PM in response to mattsz68

The default Sonoma background has a very light sky, causing the menu bar to appear almost light gray. I changed to one of the "Earth" backgrounds as they all have black in the top of the image.

The menu bar is transparent. Most of the landscape backgrounds have sky in the top making the menu bar seem very light.

Sep 26, 2023 8:54 PM in response to mattsz68

mattsz68 wrote:

when MacOS Ventura was installed on my MacBook, the color of the top menu bar was translucent and matched the color of the app. I just installed MacOS Sonoma, and it unfortunately is white, regardless of it being on dark mode, showing the notch a lot more than before. How do I change the color of the menu bar, or will it stay that way? Thanks

I don't see a user setting right off.

You can reduce transparency...

submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 11, 2023 9:20 PM in response to mattsz68

Here is the direct fix - I took a snapshot of my MacBook Pro desktop. I used Photoshop to open the snapshot, select the menu bar area precisely and fill it with my preferred menubar color: black.I inverted the selection and filled with a simple dark steel blue gradation gradation which is easy on my eyes. I made it the finder background in system settings:wallpaper. My image is loaded here - feel free to use it and cherish it forever - or make your own.

Sep 27, 2023 7:55 PM in response to ryan_ware

This works better. Background with black fall off reduces the notch visibility a lot. Odly turning on "Reduce Transparency" makes the menu bar grey which I do not like.

So I have Night Mode on, Reduce transparency off and the Peak Dynamic Wallpaper. The motion screen savers are cool, leaving those cycling through until I get tired of it.

MacOS Sonoma Menu bar color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.