Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Amazon's KDP consistently rejects my PDF generated from Apple Pages

I have spent 2 years writing and many weeks formatting and proofing my memoir in Pages, with photos and a great layout. It looks wonderful and should be all ready to go.

I've exported the file to PDF to upload to Amazon's KDP for a **paperback book** (not a Kindle).

But KDP/Amazon consistently rejects my Pages-generated PDF. After banging my head against the wall for several days, I still have no idea how to get around this.

KDP/Amazon support says it requires embedded fonts and images, but Pages doesn't seem to embed them. Could this be my problem? If so, how do I solve it?

Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help me get this done? Please!

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro. 14” 2021 - OS Monterey 12.6.7

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:22 AM

Pages will embed a subset of the font used in the document in the exported PDF, but not the entire font set. The images will be in the PDF.

As a test, if you have access to MS Word 16.31 or later, open that resulting PDF with Word, let it convert it to a .docx. On the Word Preferences/Settings : Save panel, select Embed fonts in the file. Then save that .docx.

Next, with the .docx still open, File menu : Save As… PDF and give it a different name than the input PDF. Try the ⦿ Best for electronic distribution option instead of Best for printing.

From a PDF Metadata standpoint, the Creator will now be Microsoft Word and not Pages.

Upload this new PDF to Amazon and see if it resolves the KDP issues.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 5:22 AM in response to authormarks

Pages will embed a subset of the font used in the document in the exported PDF, but not the entire font set. The images will be in the PDF.

As a test, if you have access to MS Word 16.31 or later, open that resulting PDF with Word, let it convert it to a .docx. On the Word Preferences/Settings : Save panel, select Embed fonts in the file. Then save that .docx.

Next, with the .docx still open, File menu : Save As… PDF and give it a different name than the input PDF. Try the ⦿ Best for electronic distribution option instead of Best for printing.

From a PDF Metadata standpoint, the Creator will now be Microsoft Word and not Pages.

Upload this new PDF to Amazon and see if it resolves the KDP issues.

Amazon's KDP consistently rejects my PDF generated from Apple Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.