Hue Bridge suddenly not working with Home app

I am running an Apple Home setup with two HomePods (v1), three HomePod minis, an Apple TV 4K (v1), and an Apple TV 4K (v2). My Apple devices are an iPhone 15 Pro, iPad Pro 11" M2, and iPad (9th gen), and MBP 14" M2 Max, as well as an M1 Mac mini running as a Homebridge server to create dummy switches and give me access to my Nest Learning Thermostat. Everything is running the most recent OS/firmware (iOS/tvOS/iPadOS 17). I have an AmpliFi Alien router, and all of my Home devices and bridges have static IP addresses. I have done extensive troubleshooting and can verify that all of my devices are updated and in good working order.

After realizing that my Home app was running in the background and killing my iPhone's battery on my brand new iPhone 15 Pro, I tried tinkering with settings, selectively unpairing devices, and ultimately wound up running the Apple HomeKit reset profile and completely nuking my HomeKit setup with something like 40-50 devices on it. After that, I spend hours trying to get my HomePods updated and initialized, as they kept getting stuck on "Configuring" for hours, and finally had to open a case with Apple Support. Then, as if by miracle, the HomePods started coming online one by one, after not working for nearly 48 hours, and I was able to begin rebuilding my Home setup.

I had just gotten all of my devices linked with HomeKit (a pain because Hue apparently doesn't transmit the names and rooms of the lights to HomeKit anymore) when all of a sudden all of my Hue devices stopped responding. My Hue hub now shows as being disconnected from HomeKit in the Home app, but the lights all work in the Hue app and can be controlled using the Hue dimmer switches. The Hue app says it is connected to Apple Home. I have tried unlinking (losing all the names and locations of the Hue lights and switches in the process) and Hue will stay connected for 15-30 minutes and then disconnect again. I am beyond frustrated at this point. Does anyone have any ideas/solutions? Anyone having the same issue?

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 1:22 AM

I have since solved the issue. Adding the Hue Bridge from the Home app using the HomeKit code on the sticker or from the Hue app directly now adds it as a Matter hub which has connectivity issues and lacks many features such as name and room sync and adaptive lighting. You have to instead tap the button on top and wait for it to appear in the list of devices (it’ll say Hue Bridge-XXXX [insert string of random numbers likely unique to your device], and then scan the code to add to HomeKit. Not as intuitive but crucial.

Similar questions

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 1:22 AM in response to Vancouver22

I have since solved the issue. Adding the Hue Bridge from the Home app using the HomeKit code on the sticker or from the Hue app directly now adds it as a Matter hub which has connectivity issues and lacks many features such as name and room sync and adaptive lighting. You have to instead tap the button on top and wait for it to appear in the list of devices (it’ll say Hue Bridge-XXXX [insert string of random numbers likely unique to your device], and then scan the code to add to HomeKit. Not as intuitive but crucial.

Oct 4, 2023 12:25 PM in response to arsmatticus

Some sort of power and/or Internet glitch last night made some of our devices offline this morning...notably our thermostats, Wyze cameras, and Philips Hue bulbs. Rebooting the router brought the thermostats back online and some of the cameras. Rebooting the other cameras brought those back online. Restarting the Hue bridge did nothing and neither did turning power to the bulbs off and on.

I could see the bulbs working fine in the Hue app, so I tried removing the bridge from the Home app and re-adding it...but could not.

1. Tried re-adding from inside the Hue app. Didn't work...but did end up removing all my "not responding" Hue lights from the Home app. Bleh.
  2. Tried in Home app by going to + and "Add Accessory" and scanned the code on the bottom of the Huebridge. Didn't work.
  3. Tried in Home app by going to + and "Add Accessory" and "More options" and it is scanning for some nearby accessory. Pressing the button on the Hue bridge does nothing. Spins and searches forever.
  4. Did a factory reset on the Hue bridge, re-added all 7 active lights, and tried to add to Siri/Homekit from within the Hue app. Didn't work.
  5. Retried steps 2 and 3 after that factory reset. Still not adding.

Saw someone else mentioned removing Matter settings under "iPhone Settings - General - Matter Networks", but I don't have anything Matter-related under General.

Sep 30, 2023 7:07 PM in response to arsmatticus

Could be please be more precise with your wording when you say “You have to instead tap the button on top and wait for it to appear in the list of devices (it’ll say Hue Bridge-XXXX [insert string of random numbers likely unique to your device], and then scan the code to add to HomeKit. Not as intuitive but crucial.”

The button on top of what? The big button on the physical PH bridge? The app? Which app? Apple Home? P.H.? If so, which tab/button?

What list of devices? In Apple Home or PH? Either way, where exactly are you within that app?

Dec 29, 2023 4:51 PM in response to itstheju

My post, my solution, and not violative of the rules. It’s not a matter of being tech inclined, just not reading the whole thread in chronological order. If anybody posted the same question without reading a thread on Reddit, mods would yell at them and delete their post.

I get notified every time someone replies asking stuff that’s already been addressed, it gets old. I don’t care if you think I’m rude, my solution was effective and it has helped several people who can read, make logical inferences where I wasn’t perfectly and abundantly clear, and follow directions. My setup has been pretty stable since, so I know it works.

Feb 1, 2024 9:26 AM in response to PMMad1969

Read the whole thread. Tried every suggestion. Spent hours. Talked to Hue support and Apple support. After factory reset of Hue bridge, never got the third light, ie couldn't get connected to the Hue portal. Finally, found out (from another Hue support guy) that updates to my old XB6 Xfinity gateway were interfering with the communication. Went to Xfinity and exchanged the XB6 with an XB8. After reinstalling everything we have communication - Hue Portal, Homekit, Voice control with Siri. YAY!! Xfinity will swap out at no charge.

Sep 30, 2023 1:13 PM in response to arsmatticus

Mine is working and didn’t change with the update. The only time I’ve had to add it again by pressing the top is to use the Hue App, when installing the app on a new device. There’s different generations of these bulbs and bridges so it could be that too.

Apart from using to Siri to ask the lights be turned on or off I don’t rely on it to control automations and scenes - the Hue App is far better for that. Or I end up having the wrong colours coming on. The Hue App might need an update from the App Store.

In the Hue App you should ensure it’s linked by going into Settings - Smart Home and making sure Siri & Home is enabled.

Oct 2, 2023 10:57 AM in response to arsmatticus

Thank you. You were a great help! There were other things I had to do (iPhone Settings - General - Matter Networks - Delete them for each hub) and log out each of my PH hubs from PHs online service and then connect to the hubs locally first.

But, you got me on the right path, and I am greatly appreciative. I have 3 hubs and 125 lights. Everything got all messed up in HomeKit when I tried swapping the PH hubs to Matter. Glad they're now back to using Zigby(sp) and everything is named and roomed correctly. Cheers!

Jan 16, 2024 10:17 AM in response to arsmatticus

Looking for a solution to this problem. I am not the most tech savvy (one reason I try to stay with proven tech).

I have had my Hue for many years without problem. Suddenly stops working with the HomeKit. I installed a system at another location recently and it is still working with no issue so I figured it must be hardware related. Ordered a new Hub. Got it last week and immediately ran into the problems you guys are describing. HomeKit can't find the accessory. Tried all the workarounds. No luck. Contact Hue customer support to see if maybe something has been figured out. As of 1:13 pm EST, " the problem we have with Homekit is massive. Our team is constantly working with Apple to solve this problem and provide you with the best service. "

"for the moment we are kindly asking our customers to use only app until we can solve the problem with Homekit."

"We are sorry to hear that your experience with our products is not the best at the moment, as soon as we hear about an update to resolve the problem, we will let you know. "

Sorry, but that is all I can contribute. Doesn't look like there will be a resolution anytime soon.

Jan 20, 2024 3:48 PM in response to PMMad1969

I got a similar response from HUE support. Two weeks into this since it first started and no answers or resolutions.

I tried everything in these threads with no success.

HUE support is blaming the Xfinity router in my case. The funny thing is that the router has not changed in years now. I think they have NO IDEA but at least they engage and respond. Apple Support no where to be found.

Oct 2, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Robertharpool

I didn't even think there were additional steps to consider, good to know if anything else happens. I actually got a call from Phillips and from Apple Support today to get more information on these issues, so I suspect that this is now a known issue. I suspect I didn't have to take those steps because I had factory reset everything, so I was starting with a completely blank HomeKit setup and a blank Hue bridge. By the by, the Zigbee never went away—that's how the lights talk to the bridge—what happened was Hue was trying to talk to HomeKit over Matter instead of its native HAP (HomeKit Accessory Protocol), and Matter is still pretty half-baked.

I am glad you were able to get back up and running! I only have the one bridge and like 15 lights (I only use them for the old part of the house where the switches don't have neutral wires, everything else is on Kasa switches), and I was pulling my hair out. I do not envy you! You should consider downloading Controller. It backs up all your names, rooms, scenes, and most automations. It's a big time saver (and even then, it took a long while to get all my stuff loaded up in HomeKit and customize notifications across all my different devices).

Oct 5, 2023 7:21 AM in response to PDelahanty

Seems that u did a thorough job, so I don't have much to suggest ... other than to perhaps make certain ur PH bridge is plugged directly into ur router (vs a ethernet hub that connects to ur router). After setup u can move it back.

Other things I did, though I have no evidence they were necessary, were to log out of the PH app, completely delete it, restart phone, reinstall PH from Apple Store and re-add the hub locally (w/o signing in). I feel, however, you've already tried this.

I can't imagine it being a hardware issue since you imply that the bridge is working properly within the PH app ... it's just the sync to Apple Home that's screwy.

Oh!! here's another idea I also did that might work for you! ... on your iPhone, go to Settings - Privacy & Security - HomeKit and toggle off Hue. Then restart your phone, go back into that setting and turn Hue back on.

That's the best I got. Good Luck :-)

Nov 14, 2023 1:24 PM in response to arsmatticus

Thanks for making that detailed guide, however I think I’m stuck.

1) deleted bridge from home app

2) deleted bridge from matter accessories in settings > general

3) when trying to add accessory in home, I select more options and then there’s just an infinite loading screen. I press the button on top of the bridge and nothing’s happening.

I know it should show up as a device to connect to via homekit but it’s not happening, any suggestions or idea?

Hue Bridge suddenly not working with Home app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.