Upgrade from 12.0.1 to 13.5

I'm on a 2020 Macbook air and would like to upgrade my OS from Monterey 12.0.1 to Ventura 13.5 however I keep being directed to the recently released Sonoma OS which I do not want to install at the moment as I prefer to wait a while until the inevitable initial glitches have been sorted. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 3:44 AM

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. 

Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this ➡️ How to get old versions of macOS ⬅️ and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence.

In your computer case Really suggest updating to Current version of Monterey 12.7 Before attempting the Ventura 13.6

Keep your Mac up to date

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.7

If Yes, suggest having at least 50 GB of Empty Space on the drive.

It will allow the Full Version ( about 12.xx GB ) to download, expand and then commence to install.

If there is Third Party Security Software installed - remove it.

It will interfere with both the download and installation process.

The below links will help identify which version of macOS  this computer may Qualify to run.

Computer Qualifying for macOS 13 Ventura 

Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade

Make Time Machine Backup  before doing any upGrades 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 3:44 AM in response to MacVikas

The Age of this computer will Govern what newer version of macOS it will Qualify to install. 

Use About this Mac from the Apple Icon on Desktop - the required Information will be there.

With the above information in-hand - follow this ➡️ How to get old versions of macOS ⬅️ and verify what version this computer Qualifies to install.  For Best results use Safari to commence the download as Others may not work.

Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Store where the download can commence.

In your computer case Really suggest updating to Current version of Monterey 12.7 Before attempting the Ventura 13.6

Keep your Mac up to date

About the security content of macOS Monterey 12.7

If Yes, suggest having at least 50 GB of Empty Space on the drive.

It will allow the Full Version ( about 12.xx GB ) to download, expand and then commence to install.

If there is Third Party Security Software installed - remove it.

It will interfere with both the download and installation process.

The below links will help identify which version of macOS  this computer may Qualify to run.

Computer Qualifying for macOS 13 Ventura 

Computer Qualify for the Monterey upgrade

Make Time Machine Backup  before doing any upGrades 

Upgrade from 12.0.1 to 13.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.