Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prioritize wifi networks

Is there any way of creating a priority ranking for wifi networks? At home I have two networks available (one my private network, one an open hotspot). Occasionally my iPhone phone picks up and locks to the Openzone even though my private network is available. I want to maintain the Open-zone for when I am away from home, it is a pain to keep 'forgetting' that network when arriving home, then logging into it when heading out.

It should be pretty easy to assign a 'favorite' network that is connected to over and above all others when it is present?

The feature is available in OSX so figure shoudl be a part of iOS4?????

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 1:39 AM

7 replies

Aug 21, 2010 2:14 AM in response to CMFIELD

There is no such option available with the iPhone.

Each Openzone wireless network that you connect your iPhone with should be separate. If you forget the Openzone wireless network that you are in range of when at home, this should not prevent your iPhone from automatically connecting to other Openzone wireless networks that you have previously connected your iPhone with when returning within range of the wireless network.

Aug 21, 2010 9:40 AM in response to Piggie

You have multiple wireless networks in your home, or there are multiple wireless networks available that your iPhone is in range of when you are at home in addition to your wireless network?

If you have a wireless network at home, not sure why you would want or need to connect to any other available wireless network your iPhone is in range of when at home. You only need one when at home.

There are several wireless networks available at the homes of some nearby neighbors my iPhone is in range of when I'm at home, but I have no need or want to connect to the wireless network of a neighbor when I have my own wireless network at home.

Aug 24, 2010 12:08 PM in response to northender71

Copied from my previous post.

Each Openzone wireless network that you connect your iPhone with should be separate. If you forget the Openzone wireless network that you are in range of when at home, this should not prevent your iPhone from automatically connecting to other Openzone wireless networks that you have previously connected your iPhone with when returning within range of the wireless network.

This is how it is in the U.S. If I forget a particular AT&T wi-fi network at a McDonalds or at a particular Starbucks which are free for AT&T subscribers with an iPhone, this does not prevent my iPhone from automatically connecting to any other AT&T wi-fi network that my iPhone has connected with previously when returning within range of the network.

The same should apply there.

Aug 27, 2010 7:43 AM in response to CMFIELD

I have this problem as well. My ISP has wifi available all over the place. They installed wifi to telephone poles everywhere so there is wifi in just about every place that you need it. When i get home i have a 50/50 shot at at connecting to my home. I know that there is no solution for this as of now but im posting it just in case they make an update and someone posts it.

Prioritize wifi networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.