connect an iPhone camera to a MacBook

I see the help topic here:

Choose an external camera on Mac - Apple Support

It says this:

QuickTime Player: Choose File > New Movie Recording, hold the pointer over the window, click the down arrow , then choose a camera.

Doesn't work for me.

I assume I do have a connection between the iPhone and MacBook. See the steps below.

my steps:

1. connect iPhone to the Macbook (iOS 16.6.1, macOS 12.5.1)
  2. open the camera app on the iPhone and select Video
  3. verify the connection by opening Finder on the MacBook and clicking the listed iPhone12
  4. in QuickTime Player select File/New Movie Recording, then click the down arrow by the red button on the QuickTime window

expected result:

see the iPhone listed as a camer aoption

actual result:

the only option listed is FaceBook HD camera

How to debug or fix this? I want to use the iPhone as an external camera.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 6:18 AM

Resolved. My experience is the help topic is not correct. I was running macOS version 12.5.1. The macOS Monterey 12 version of the help topic 'Use an external camera with Mac', linked to by the Continuity Camera topic referred to above, says you can do this, but according to Apple Support I needed to upgrade to macOS version 14. Works fine after upgrade to macOS version 14.

Following is the list of requirements provided by Apple Support:

iOS 16 or later

• iPhone XR or later (all iPhone models introduced in 2018 or later)

macOS Ventura or later

• Any Mac compatible with macOS Ventura or later

Additional requirements

• Your iPhone and Mac must be signed in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication. Continuity Camera does not support Managed Apple IDs.

• Your iPhone must have Continuity Camera turned on in Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff. It's turned on by default.

• Your iPhone and Mac must be near each other and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on.

• Your iPhone must not be sharing its cellular connection and your Mac must not be sharing its internet connection.

• To use Continuity Camera wirelessly, your Mac must not be using AirPlay or Sidecar.

• To use Continuity Camera over USB, your iPhone must be set to trust your Mac.

• Reactions, Presenter Overlay, camera modes, and mic modes have other requirements.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 6:18 AM in response to johncla

Resolved. My experience is the help topic is not correct. I was running macOS version 12.5.1. The macOS Monterey 12 version of the help topic 'Use an external camera with Mac', linked to by the Continuity Camera topic referred to above, says you can do this, but according to Apple Support I needed to upgrade to macOS version 14. Works fine after upgrade to macOS version 14.

Following is the list of requirements provided by Apple Support:

iOS 16 or later

• iPhone XR or later (all iPhone models introduced in 2018 or later)

macOS Ventura or later

• Any Mac compatible with macOS Ventura or later

Additional requirements

• Your iPhone and Mac must be signed in with the same Apple ID using two-factor authentication. Continuity Camera does not support Managed Apple IDs.

• Your iPhone must have Continuity Camera turned on in Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff. It's turned on by default.

• Your iPhone and Mac must be near each other and have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned on.

• Your iPhone must not be sharing its cellular connection and your Mac must not be sharing its internet connection.

• To use Continuity Camera wirelessly, your Mac must not be using AirPlay or Sidecar.

• To use Continuity Camera over USB, your iPhone must be set to trust your Mac.

• Reactions, Presenter Overlay, camera modes, and mic modes have other requirements.

connect an iPhone camera to a MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.