Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

ipad pro m1 lags so much in files after ipad os 17 update

After ipad os 17 update the files app is lagging so much on my ipad pro 2021. Especially .jpeg files, cant even work with them anymore. Will this be fixed? Also response time of the pencil has slowed down too:(

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2024 10:13 AM

I have been having the exact same issue. The files app is running EXTREMELY slow since the OS 17 update. Im using 191.7 GB out of 256GB and the lag is phenomenal. I dont have music or movies on my iPad Pro 2021 11 inch, nor do I have many photos. Ive done a complete system reset and even offloaded the app and re downloaded it. The issue is still there. Ive even deleted different documents. My files app, which I am constantly using is only 25.7mb big. Hope a fix is coming out soon for it.

J

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2024 10:13 AM in response to faith185

I have been having the exact same issue. The files app is running EXTREMELY slow since the OS 17 update. Im using 191.7 GB out of 256GB and the lag is phenomenal. I dont have music or movies on my iPad Pro 2021 11 inch, nor do I have many photos. Ive done a complete system reset and even offloaded the app and re downloaded it. The issue is still there. Ive even deleted different documents. My files app, which I am constantly using is only 25.7mb big. Hope a fix is coming out soon for it.

J

Apr 23, 2024 3:49 AM in response to Toba7

Toba7 wrote:

Same issue here.
132 GB out of 256 available, so more than half.
Half a minute just to open my files app or switch to another folder.
This is absurd.
From Icloud it works perfectly.
Is Apple trying to get everyone on more ICloud storage?
it takes way to long to fix this; already months.
i seriously request a fix.

I'm unable to replicate this performance issue - and I'm using two 2021 (M1 CPU) iPad's Pro.

Begin with a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often clear an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

If the problem persists after performing the restart, it may be necessary to reset your iPad settings. While this reset will not cause any loss of data, as a precaution, it is always wise to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before performing the reset:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are happy to proceed, you can perform the reset from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings

If the problem still doesn’t clear, the next step is to reset the iPad to factory settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Otherwise, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 30, 2023 1:17 PM in response to Ipadukas

Hi Ipadukas,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like your iPad may be experiencing some overall slowness. In that case, we'd recommend checking out If your iPhone or iPad is running slow - Apple Support which can help you locate causes. For example, there may be an issue with running low on storage which is covered in this section of the article.

"Make sure you have enough storage

If your device is low on storage, iOS or iPadOS automatically frees up space while installing an app, updating iOS or iPadOS, downloading music, recording videos, and more. iOS or iPadOS only removes items that can be downloaded again or that aren't needed anymore.

You can check your device's storage in Settings > General > [Device] Storage. For best performance, try to maintain at least 1GB of free space. If your available storage is consistently less than 1GB, your device might slow down as iOS or iPadOS repeatedly makes room for more content.

If you need to free up some space, follow these steps to turn on the storage-saving recommendations built in to iOS or iPadOS:

1. Go to Settings > General > [Device] Storage and read the recommendations that iOS or iPadOS might provide.
  2. Tap Enable to turn on a recommendation, or tap a recommendation title to review the content that you can delete.

If you don't see any recommendations — or if you need to free up even more space — you can review the apps on your device. They're listed on the same [Device] Storage screen along with the amount of space that they use.

Tap an app, then choose from the options:

• Offload the app, which frees up storage used by the app, but keeps its documents and data.
  • Delete the app, which removes the app and its related data.
  • Depending on the app, you might be able to delete some of its documents and data."

Take care.

Apr 23, 2024 3:40 AM in response to faith185

Same issue here.

132 GB out of 256 available, so more than half.

Half a minute just to open my files app or switch to another folder.

This is absurd.

From Icloud it works perfectly.

Is Apple trying to get everyone on more ICloud storage?

it takes way to long to fix this; already months.

i seriously request a fix.

Apr 24, 2024 2:02 AM in response to jarius48

jarius48 wrote:

I’ve deleted the files I don’t need. And I’ve also went into my recent files and deleted what I don’t need from there. It’s still running slow. My files app is holding 24.2 MB of information. I have 191.64 GB of space left and the files app still is not working properly. Ever since the new update it has been given me issues.

If the problem still doesn’t clear, reset the iPad to factory settings - then restore your data from your iCloud or iTunes backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Apr 23, 2024 4:59 PM in response to Toba7

I’ve deleted the files I don’t need. And I’ve also went into my recent files and deleted what I don’t need from there. It’s still running slow. My files app is holding 24.2 MB of information. I have 191.64 GB of space left and the files app still is not working properly. Ever since the new update it has been given me issues.

ipad pro m1 lags so much in files after ipad os 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.