You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I pair an Apple Watch Series 9 with an iPhone X?

So: I just bought a new Apple Watch 9. I went to pair it with my iPhone X, then it said it needed iOS 17. Ok, I’ll just upgrade… except iOS is not supported on iPhone X. FINE, I will pair with my iPad (recent, supports iOS 17). No, pairing is only supported on iPhone.

I said some bad words.

When, not if, will pairing be supported on iOS 16 on new Watches? This is not acceptable. No, I am not buying a new iPhone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 5:52 AM

Yes, that’s true. Part of my reason to post this is to warn other people about this issue (it iS buried in the fine print), part is to provide a feedback signal to Apple. There is no technical reason a new Watch can’t be paired with an older OS… and iOS 17 *just* came out. I’m fine with iOS not running on older *phones*, but restricting pairing seems excessive.

Oh. Well. Not happy, though.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2023 5:52 AM in response to Niel

Yes, that’s true. Part of my reason to post this is to warn other people about this issue (it iS buried in the fine print), part is to provide a feedback signal to Apple. There is no technical reason a new Watch can’t be paired with an older OS… and iOS 17 *just* came out. I’m fine with iOS not running on older *phones*, but restricting pairing seems excessive.

Oh. Well. Not happy, though.

Can I pair an Apple Watch Series 9 with an iPhone X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.