Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

After upgrading my iPhone to iOS 17 the phone dial pad it freezes and won’t let me dial a number

I started to notice the issue after upgrading to iOS 17 on my iPhone 12. Whenever I try to dial a number on the phone dial pad it freezes and won’t let me dial a number. You can hear the dial tone as if I am holding down a number, but I am not. It’s not a carrier issue because I can call contacts and receive calls without issue. It’s just the dial pad that does not work.

I have tried multiple things to fix the issue starting with resetting the network settings. Then resetting all of the settings on the phone. Then resetting the phone and restoring from an iCloud backup. Then restoring the phone and not restoring from a backup (starting fresh). After each of these things the dial pad will work for anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours then it will stop working again. I have spoke. With several people from Apple support, as well as going to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store twice. They have not been able to diagnose or fix the issue.

Their final answer was to upgrade the phone and start over fresh, which I did. I upgraded to iPhone 15 pro and when I setup the phone I didn’t restore it from an iCloud backup, I just started over fresh. The day after upgrading phones, the dial pad quit working again. I turned the phone off and on again, which fix the issue temporarily, but after a few hours the dial pad quit working again. I have no idea what could be causing this and any help or insight would be appreciated.

ps. I have also noticed a couple of other weird things, like when I get a text message it won’t always give me a pop notification and will just show up as a number on the message app icon (sometimes it will give me a pop notification). Also Siri will pop up and listen, but since upgrading to iOS 17 have yet to get it to give me an answer to anything I ask. It always times out and says “Something went wrong. Try again later”.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 10:04 PM

I have exactly the same issue with my iPhone 14 Pro. Occurred from IOS 17 update. Very frustrating

Similar questions

14 replies

Sep 30, 2023 7:55 PM in response to droches17

Hi droches17,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. Considering that this is happening with your new iPhone too, it seems likely that this is software, not a hardware issue. Make sure that your iOS is up-to-date as well as any app updates are installed. You can check for and install app updates using the guidance in How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support.

If you use any VPN or anti-virus software, it might also be a good idea to test without those. While not necessarily related, that's an easy isolation step that might narrow things down a bit.

If the issue remains, you may want to reach out to Apple Support directly.

Get Support

Take care.

Oct 8, 2023 12:28 PM in response to droches17

I have the same issue ever since upgrading to an iPhone 15 with iOS 17. Dial pad freezes, Siri says "something went wrong," the phone app freezes when I click on the info button next to an unsaved number...

I have tried two different devices so it is clearly not a hardware issue. I have set it up as new (log into iCloud, hit "don't transfer" and download all the apps individually), reinstall iOS, restore/reset to factory setting, log in with a new iCloud account, reactivate my eSim. I have spoken to apple support in person and over the phone, and no one has a solution thus far.

I do not have this issue on my XR which runs on iOS 16. I have strong suspicion that this is an issue with iOS 17. Unfortunately, I will have to return my iPhone 15 today because there is no way to downgrade to iOS 16. Hopefully in a few months iOS 17 will be ready to function for those of us running into this issue.

Oct 15, 2023 5:10 AM in response to Bluesteel310

I have the same exact issue and apple has not resolved it. My phone was worming fine. I had to update my 13 mini to ios17 in order to back up my phone/ immediately after the functionality of the phone was lost. The key pad to make a call does not work, and when you try to call it freezes. Not all calls come thru. Siri does not work. You cannot search contacts but instead have to manually scroll through them. I may get a text but not reliably notified. You cannot search in apple maps. The non-apple apps work fine. I was sent a new phone, had to upgrade to ios17- issues persisted. I created a new apple ID account. Same issues. I have spent weeks on the phone w apple and verizon. Apple advisor had been communicating with me but has now gone silent and refuses to communicate with as they cannot fix the problem. I have obtained yet another new phone and continue to inquire with apple if i should activate with their assistance, but they refuse to answer. I need to provide emergency services for work, and so this issue makes it impossible to care for patients. If apple refuses to acknowledge me and rectify the problem, ultimately the answer is to switch to an android device and return/refund my iphone.

Oct 17, 2023 9:59 AM in response to droches17

I am facing the same issue with my dialpad. I was asked by Apple support to reset network settings and then proceeded to restore and finally went to Genius Bar to remove ios 17 and reinstall. The dialpad would from anytime between 10 mins and 3 days and then freezes again. Contacted and made several appointments with apple support and they don’t seem to be helpful.

Oct 21, 2023 4:27 PM in response to droches17

Same here. iPhone 12 updated to iOS 17 (including iOS 17.03 most recently), same issues as described by others. I've factory reset my phone THREE times and it fixes the issue for about 24 hours before it returns. Apple told me "sorry not in warranty, we suggest you buy a new phone."

The total lack of responsibility Apple takes for this, even at their flagship stores, is incredibly frustrating. Just leaving their customers out to dry. Makes me want to switch to Samsung (I know they have their own problems, I'm just angry).

After upgrading my iPhone to iOS 17 the phone dial pad it freezes and won’t let me dial a number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.