Related Article: Apple security releases

What happened if it said updated failed

I try to update my phone and it said it failed

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 9:41 PM

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software Update: If there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • Ensure that you do not have a beta profile installed from a previous version
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 10GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 9:41 PM in response to Little_wolf94

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software Update: If there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • Ensure that you do not have a beta profile installed from a previous version
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 10GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

Sep 27, 2023 10:00 PM in response to Little_wolf94

Little_wolf94 Said:

"What happened if it said updated failed: I try to update my phone and it said it failed"

-------

Updating an iPhone 12 mini:

Use a Computer and Ethernet:

Have a computer handy? Start with attempting an update through use of a computer. If you cannot use Wi-Fi, then use Ethernet.  Go Here: Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip. On the computer, you would connect it through Ethernet, going directly into your router. For a Mac (or PC) that does not have Ethernet, this would be the adapter to use: Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Apple

What happened if it said updated failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.