Recovery Server could not be contacted Error for installing High Sierra on 2011 macbook pro

I have a 2011 macbook pro and recently i have erased the data to reinstall, but i got Recovery Server could not be contacted Error while installing, i have tried several searchable approaches like setting the datetime,checking network but still could not solve it, anyone can give me an advice?

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 7:59 PM

MacOS is not copy-protected in the usual sense:

Apple software downloaded from the Mac App Store, including MacOS, is not copy protected. However, it IS tagged with the Apple-ID of the purchaser when "purchased" (or equivalent. Think of MacOS as purchased on sale for $0.)

You cannot update, upgrade, or install new software based on already-installed software UNLESS you supply the Apple-ID of the original software.

If your old MacOS is damaged, or you completely erased your Mac, the Apple-ID may not available, and you get the “cannot contact the server…” message that should go on to say, “…with the Apple-ID provided (or no Apple-ID)”.

Your Bare Mac computer IS eligible for the shipped-in-the-box version of macOS. When you invoke Recovery with Shift-Option-Command-R, you are requesting the "shipped-in-the-box" version, which is tagged ONLY with the serial number of your Mac, and does not require any Apple-ID to be already working on your Mac.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 7:59 PM in response to adasd212

MacOS is not copy-protected in the usual sense:

Apple software downloaded from the Mac App Store, including MacOS, is not copy protected. However, it IS tagged with the Apple-ID of the purchaser when "purchased" (or equivalent. Think of MacOS as purchased on sale for $0.)

You cannot update, upgrade, or install new software based on already-installed software UNLESS you supply the Apple-ID of the original software.

If your old MacOS is damaged, or you completely erased your Mac, the Apple-ID may not available, and you get the “cannot contact the server…” message that should go on to say, “…with the Apple-ID provided (or no Apple-ID)”.

Your Bare Mac computer IS eligible for the shipped-in-the-box version of macOS. When you invoke Recovery with Shift-Option-Command-R, you are requesting the "shipped-in-the-box" version, which is tagged ONLY with the serial number of your Mac, and does not require any Apple-ID to be already working on your Mac.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Sep 27, 2023 7:40 PM in response to adasd212

adasd212 Said:

"Recovery Server could not be contacted Error for installing High Sierra on 2011 MacBook pro: I have a 2011 macbook pro and recently i have erased the data to reinstall, but i got Recovery Server could not be contacted Error while installing, i have tried several searchable approaches like setting the datetime,checking network but still could not solve it, anyone can give me an advice?"

-------

Troubleshooting Recovery Server Connections:

A. Use Ethernet:

How are you connecting? Try connecting using Ethernet, if an available option to you.

B. Create a New Administrator:

For troubleshooting purposed, see if you can connect and perform this using a different user. Create a nest a new administrator user to perform this upgrade. Trash this user, once completed.

C. Reset your Router:

Power off you router for 30 seconds, and then power it back on. Perhaps these has been utility work, and you need to reset it.

Sep 27, 2023 11:32 PM in response to adasd212

adasd212 Said:

"Recovery Server could not be contacted Error for installing High Sierra on 2011 MacBook pro: it is not a upgrade, i want to reset the laptop, but i can't install back due to the error in recovery mode after i erase the drive"

-------

Thank you ro the following reply.

Installing the macOS:

A. Mount the Drive:

Probably because you have yet to mount the drive. So, while booted in Recovery Mode, select Disk Utility. From there, mount the drive. If it is already mounted, then unmount it and then mount it. Also, click the First Aid for the drive.

Then...

B. Use a USB Bootable Installer:

Install with a USB Bootable Installer for High Sierra. You would need another to perform this: Create a Bootable Installer for macOS - Apple Support

Sep 28, 2023 6:40 AM in response to adasd212

adasd212 wrote:

it is not a upgrade, i want to reset the laptop, but i can't install back due to the error in recovery mode after i erase the drive

The oldest MacOS that shipped-in-the-box with 2011 models was 10.6.6. if you invoke recovery with this specific command:

Shift-Option-Command-R

... you are requesting the "shipped-in-the-box" version. in this case, I would expect you to be offered 10.7 Lion and the oldest appropriate version available.

Sep 28, 2023 7:27 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

yes it is erased, i following the step to install the os, after clicked agree the conditions, clicked the drive and install, it pop out a box to ask you login your apple id, i entered a new opened account without 2fa since my old account need 2fa and this box seems is not supported 2fa login(maybe the version is too old). After successfully login, it showed the error "the item is temporarily unavailable"

Sep 29, 2023 6:26 AM in response to adasd212

Well, this is better, but: you are now talking to the Mac App Store, but with a brand-new Apple-ID, it would never indicate that you had "purchased" 10.7 Lion. 10.7 Lion as an upgrade was still a special purchase, and it had a complex download method that involved "purchasing" a code, then entering the code during install later.

You may need to obtain a 10.6 Installer disc, either "Full Retail" or one issued for your specific model Mac.

I don't know how to get around this impasse.

Maybe Apple support could help.

Recovery Server could not be contacted Error for installing High Sierra on 2011 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.