Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Trouble installing iPadOS 17.0.2?

I installed iPadOS 17 without issues. But when I try to install the update 17.0.2; I got a message saying I need at least 5GB of storage to install it. 5GB for. 95mb update seems odd? Either way I had more than 5GB of storage. But after I tried installing 17.0.2 my storage increased over 4gb. It is showing up under the download for the 17 install. It says iPad17 has 12 GB of data. See below.

any one else having this problem? Anyone know how to solve the problem?

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 8:02 AM

You might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to provide assistance:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 8:02 AM in response to RKpod

You might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to provide assistance:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 28, 2023 2:42 AM in response to RKpod

System software updates are compressed. They must be downloaded, unpacked/decompressed and verified before installation - and this requires adequate free-space to perform.

During the update, temporary files will also be created - also requiring free space. These temporary files will eventually be cleaned-up after the update has been successfully installed.

It is generally recommended that you keep at least 4-6GB of internal storage available for iPadOS to be able to function.

The graphic that you illustrate shows the space used for storage of the OS alone - and excludes temporary data/files.

Sep 28, 2023 6:31 PM in response to RKpod

I was in panic for several minutes but luckily i have a windows 10 machine. i installed the latest iTune and it detected my iPad needed fix. it downloaded the update or whatever it was about 6GB and installation lasted for 10 minutes. I was wondering entire time if its going to wipe out my iPad completely to make it work but it seems it retained all my apps and everything intact. O my God what a wind whirl and a relieve. IPad shows 17.0.2 installed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.