Apple Mail - 'remove attachments' is greyed out

I'm using Apple Mail (16.0) on a MacBook Air (M1) running Ventura 13.6. The option to 'remove attachments' under Message in Mail is permanently greyed out and trying to delete attachments results in the email being deleted.

I sometimes get emails with quite large graphic attachments and purely to save space I would like to delete the attachment but retain the email. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 2:22 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 28, 2023 10:30 AM in response to alun severn

alun severn wrote:

I'm using Apple Mail (16.0) on a MacBook Air (M1) running Ventura 13.6. The option to 'remove attachments' under Message in Mail is permanently greyed out and trying to delete attachments results in the email being deleted.

I sometimes get emails with quite large graphic attachments and purely to save space I would like to delete the attachment but retain the email. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

I can not reproduce the issue.

—You can try quitting Mail and relaunch it holding the Shift key down.

—You can try a SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

no insight or resolve—

you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2023 1:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, thanks. On trying again yesterday I had exactly the same experience: I found that on some messages the 'remove attachment' option worked exactly as it should; on others, it was greyed out. I wonder if this is something to do with the way the attachment has been attached... Or whether, as you suggest, it simply doesn't work very well...

Apple Mail - 'remove attachments' is greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.