Can't send normal message to another iPhone user?

Why can't I send normal message to another iPhone user who has iMessage activated? I also deactivated iMessage functionality to simply send normal message. But send button is still blue (indicates the iMessage) and when I try to send it asks me to activate iMessage function. When I activate it and send the message as an iMessage person who I sent doesn't receive it because that phone doesn't have internet at this point. Whole process is just a mess. It is ridiculous that I can't use the second core functionality of every mobile phone has ever existed. Program confuses when switching between iMessage and normal message. I don't want to use iMessage, I JUST WANT TO SEND NORMAL MESSAGE TO ANOTHER PERSON REGARDLESS OF WHAT DEVICE THEY USE BY USING MY CARRIER'S MESSAGING OPTION. IT IS VERY SIMPLE. It was an urgent moment and I needed to chat with a normal message and iPhone failed to do that. I can't believe this.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 8:27 AM

Kamaru_7 wrote:

I didn't say that. I said Messages app on iPhone forces me to activate iMessage to send a message. While receiver doesn't have internet to receive iMessage. Messages app must send a normal message at that point. And why person can't receive a normal text if they don't have internet? They have SIM on their phone.

Cellular data is required to send a text message If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, you or the recipient can ask your cellphone provider why.

if the recipient is connected to wifi, there should be no issue between you two sending imessage, which is an Apple feature.

IF you can text or imessage everyone in your contact except for said recipient then the issue is on their end and not yours and there is noting for you to fix.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 8:27 AM in response to Kamaru_7

Kamaru_7 wrote:

I didn't say that. I said Messages app on iPhone forces me to activate iMessage to send a message. While receiver doesn't have internet to receive iMessage. Messages app must send a normal message at that point. And why person can't receive a normal text if they don't have internet? They have SIM on their phone.

Cellular data is required to send a text message If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support, you or the recipient can ask your cellphone provider why.

if the recipient is connected to wifi, there should be no issue between you two sending imessage, which is an Apple feature.

IF you can text or imessage everyone in your contact except for said recipient then the issue is on their end and not yours and there is noting for you to fix.

Sep 28, 2023 9:54 AM in response to Kamaru_7

Kamaru_7 wrote:

Why can't I send normal message to another iPhone user who has iMessage activated? I also deactivated iMessage functionality to simply send normal message. But send button is still blue (indicates the iMessage) and when I try to send it asks me to activate iMessage function. When I activate it and send the message as an iMessage person who I sent doesn't receive it because that phone doesn't have internet at this point. Whole process is just a mess. It is ridiculous that I can't use the second core functionality of every mobile phone has ever existed. Program confuses when switching between iMessage and normal message. I don't want to use iMessage, I JUST WANT TO SEND NORMAL MESSAGE TO ANOTHER PERSON REGARDLESS OF WHAT DEVICE THEY USE BY USING MY CARRIER'S MESSAGING OPTION. IT IS VERY SIMPLE. It was an urgent moment and I needed to chat with a normal message and iPhone failed to do that. I can't believe this.

Said person can't receive normal text or imessage if they have no internet connection. So the issue is on their end.

Can't send normal message to another iPhone user?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.