You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID not working in Sonoma 14.0

After upgrading to Sonoma 14.0 on my iMac (M1 chip), I can no longer log in using previously set up Touch ID. All the toggles in "Touch ID & password" are off/greyed out and not useable. Deletion of a fingerprint is possible but not adding one. Does anyone know a fix?

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 8:18 AM

6 replies

Dec 6, 2023 8:40 AM in response to BillOz69

Same problem here. Cannot use Touch ID at all on M1 iMac, only manual password entry. All functions greyed out under the "Touch ID & Password" screen in Settings.

I was able to delete one of my fingerprints, but now cannot enter a new one. First, I restarted the computer and there was no change, unable to Add Fingerprint. HOWEVER, after unplugging my connected extended keyboard with Touch ID button on it, I tried to add a Finger scan and got the message "Unable to set up Touch ID on your keyboard. Place your finger on a different Touch ID if available."

I have no other Touch ID surfaces connected to the iMac. This is bizarre.

Oct 1, 2023 9:03 AM in response to BillOz69

Hello BillOz69,

We understand you're having an issue with Touch ID since installing the new macOS Sonoma and we'd like to help with that.

First, let's test this in safe mode, a step which may resolve the issue if it is related to the startup items, but if it does not, it will help us greatly isolate the cause. Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item, third party plugins, caches, fonts. 

Once inside safe mode, log in to your account and check if the issue is also occurring or not. Use this article for the steps to get into safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If everything is working properly in safe mode, but then is not working after you restart the Mac, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps. 

If the issue is also happening in safe mode, you will need to see if this problem occurs in a new test administrator account on your Mac. A test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide. 

Change Users & Groups settings on Mac

If the issue is being experienced in the test user also, then please check the section titled "If the issue happens in the other account". 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Have a great day!

Touch ID not working in Sonoma 14.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.