Icons stuck on desktop OSX 13.0

I moved some files from my desktop to another folder, using a Finder window open on the Desktop folder, as opposed to dragging them from the desktop itself.

The files moved, no problem.

However, their icons are still on my desktop now - not the desktop finder window.

I can't move or interact with them, and if I try and change the desktop icon sizes and text size, those icons are affected as well as other actual icons pertaining files that are still on my desktop, but that's it.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 10:14 AM

Relaunch the Finder in the  ➙ Force Quit menu option. See if that will remove the icons. If not boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 10:14 AM in response to Heybee

Relaunch the Finder in the  ➙ Force Quit menu option. See if that will remove the icons. If not boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Icons stuck on desktop OSX 13.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.