Apple Watch with Cellular

Why prepaid cellular network not supported in Apple Watch with Cellular ❓

Set up mobile on Apple Watch - Apple Support (IN) 👇🏻

Pre-paid accounts and some older accounts aren’t currently supported.

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 5:11 PM

shanmugamsv4 wrote:

Thanks for your reply
What about in other countries ❓
I am in India. Apple authorised resellers saying that Postpaid Cellular network only support in Apple Watch in India.

In iPhone we can use prepaid & postpaid cellular services then why not in Apple Watch ❓

Kindly send me the reply asap

Thanks
K.Shanmuga Subramanian

The names will be different in India, but the logic and commercial decision making process remains the same. It is purely a decision for each network to decide IF they will offer any particular service, and on what terms of business.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 5:11 PM in response to shanmugamsv4

shanmugamsv4 wrote:

Thanks for your reply
What about in other countries ❓
I am in India. Apple authorised resellers saying that Postpaid Cellular network only support in Apple Watch in India.

In iPhone we can use prepaid & postpaid cellular services then why not in Apple Watch ❓

Kindly send me the reply asap

Thanks
K.Shanmuga Subramanian

The names will be different in India, but the logic and commercial decision making process remains the same. It is purely a decision for each network to decide IF they will offer any particular service, and on what terms of business.

Sep 29, 2023 1:52 PM in response to shanmugamsv4

That is up to the cellular carrier as to whether or not they want to support the Apple Watch.

Also many pre-paid plans are NVMOs that piggyback on one of the major carrier's networks. In that case the NVMO will have a contract with the major carrier that spells out whether or not the NVMO is allowed to offer Apple Watch support, as each Apple Watch is really a second cellular connection the major carrier needs to track and provide service to.

Many of the pre-paid carriers exist because they offer lower prices. Signing a contract with a major carrier that includes Apple Watch support will cause the NVMO to raise its prices, as the major carrier wants that business for themselves, and will charge the NVMO more to include Apple Watch support.

If you want your NVMO to support the Apple Watch, contact your NVMO and ask them to support the Apple Watch. If enough customers request support they may revise their contract with the major carrier.

In the U.S. I know of the NVMOs Xfinity and Spectrum cable networks that also provide cellular service and support the Apple Watch. I know it can be done, but those cable providers lower their major carrier costs by also using all the home cable modem/WiFi routers they put in homes to also allow their cellular customers to do WiFi calling on top of any of their customers equipment. In major cities they can most likely totally avoid using any cellular signals and carry all their calls on their own broadband cables.

Apple Watch with Cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.