HomePod mini won't play sound from Mac Safari via AirPlay after Sonoma update

I am able to play music from my Apple Music library to my HomePod mini via Airplay, but any sound from any Safari website (YouTube, etc.) refuses to play via AirPlay to my HomePod mini. I've reset the HomePod mini twice now. It was always a struggle before MacOS Sonoma, often requiring me to quit Safari and re-launch it. But now it won't play sounds from Safari no matter what I try.

HomePod mini

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 3:26 AM

Reddit user u/joaobborges found a fix: disconnect ethernet cable and use wifi. Worked for me. Link to their post:

(1) HomePod not playing via airplay on Sonoma : MacOS (reddit.com)

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 18, 2023 11:08 AM in response to WoodWorks

Similar issue. Mac Mini connected to an Airport Express to play music. It worked fine yesterday in Ventura before upgrading to Sonoma last night. Now I can't get any audio to play via Airplay. I can connect to a Bluetooth speaker directly, but no Airplay.

• I have restarted the Base Station, as well as the Airport Express (twice). Also restarted the computer.

• I found a command line on a Reddit discussion: 'sudo killall coreaudiod' No difference.

The only temporary solution I have found is to disable the ethernet in system prefs and unplug the ethernet cord. This allows me to connect via Airplay to the Airport Express.

I tried re-enabling ethernet at this point, and the music still works until the computer goes to sleep. When it wakes from up, I once again can't connect to Airplay without going through the disable ethernet process again.

HomePod mini won't play sound from Mac Safari via AirPlay after Sonoma update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.