I purchased an Apple $500. gift card for a friend. I sent it by messenger to him and it was intercepted by a hacker. Is there anything I can do to retrieve my money?

When my friend received the card there was no balance on the card. Someone had hacked his account and took the information from the card and used the $500. Can this transaction show where it was used?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 12:52 PM

Impossible to be intercepted by a hacker. Messenger, Apple Messages and other services are encrypted.

Gift cards are considered a >cash equivalent< and really can’t be tracked. It’s like asking the Federal REserve Bank, I lost my wallet, can you see where my cash was spent.

So, how was the card actually compromised?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 12:52 PM in response to squeezethebuffalo22

Impossible to be intercepted by a hacker. Messenger, Apple Messages and other services are encrypted.

Gift cards are considered a >cash equivalent< and really can’t be tracked. It’s like asking the Federal REserve Bank, I lost my wallet, can you see where my cash was spent.

So, how was the card actually compromised?

I purchased an Apple $500. gift card for a friend. I sent it by messenger to him and it was intercepted by a hacker. Is there anything I can do to retrieve my money?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.