Airpods pro 2 cannot keep volume level after update to 17.x.x

Before sleeping I listen to music at the lowest possible volume.

The timer then stops the music after 15min so I can sleep. Mostly I sleep already after 5-10 minutes.

Now I noticed that that lowest volume level is not kept anymore but the volume increases by itself.

And that is annoying since I cannot sleep when the volume increases above a certain level.

That volume increase was especially strong when you have the “conversation recognition” switched on. Each time I say something e.g. to my wife the volume doesn’t go back to the same level as set manually before. So I switched “conversation recognition” off but still the volume changes. Not sure what triggers it (head turning!?)

And since you cannot adjust the lowest volume level at the air pods itself with a swipe down, you have to pickup your iPad and set the volume manually again.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 2:14 PM

In a recent update, Apple has added the Personalized Volume feature to AirPods Pro 2. Personalized Volume learns your listening preferences over time to fine-tune your media volume in response to your surrounding environment.

If you'd prefer to disable this feature, follow these steps:

1. Connect your AirPods Pro 2 to your iPhone
  2. Open the Settings app
  3. You should see your AirPods Pro 2 listed in the Settings app. Tap on that.
  4. Scroll down to Personalized Volume and toggle it off

You can learn more about the feature here: Use Adaptive Audio with your AirPods Pro (2nd generation) - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 2:14 PM in response to TopX

In a recent update, Apple has added the Personalized Volume feature to AirPods Pro 2. Personalized Volume learns your listening preferences over time to fine-tune your media volume in response to your surrounding environment.

If you'd prefer to disable this feature, follow these steps:

1. Connect your AirPods Pro 2 to your iPhone
  2. Open the Settings app
  3. You should see your AirPods Pro 2 listed in the Settings app. Tap on that.
  4. Scroll down to Personalized Volume and toggle it off

You can learn more about the feature here: Use Adaptive Audio with your AirPods Pro (2nd generation) - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2023 12:42 AM in response to timdifferent

Thank you, that helped. But now I’m facing the problem that the lowest volume level is too loud to go asleep. When adjusting the volume in the control center at some point the volume does not decrease anymore but just disappears although there ist still some of the white swipe area left. I can even hear some really faint feedback sound of the swipe actions but the music sound disappeared. So no more going to sleep with Music, PMR, AT.

Airpods pro 2 cannot keep volume level after update to 17.x.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.