Apple Watch Compass Accuracy Issues

Does anyone have a problem with the accuracy of the compass on their Apple Watch? My series 6 compass is off by about 95 degrees. The compass calibration option is on. I have tried all troubleshooting steps on the Apple site. Seems like a harware issue. If you've had a similar problem, please share your experience. Thank you!

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 5:46 PM

Not a problem as such, but I understand your concern.

The Compass app is incredibly sensitive to external magnetic fields. For example, while sitting in my chair and typing this on my MacBook the compass on my Series 9 is about 30˚adrift. If I put the MacBook aside and walk over to the window the error reduces to less than 5˚ just by moving away from some speaker magnets and the steel springs in my chair.

I suggest you test again, taking your Apple Watch outside to get away from the many magnetic sources found in a modern home. It is likely you will find different results, but I won't try to guess whether more or less accurate!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2023 5:46 PM in response to sasan227

Not a problem as such, but I understand your concern.

The Compass app is incredibly sensitive to external magnetic fields. For example, while sitting in my chair and typing this on my MacBook the compass on my Series 9 is about 30˚adrift. If I put the MacBook aside and walk over to the window the error reduces to less than 5˚ just by moving away from some speaker magnets and the steel springs in my chair.

I suggest you test again, taking your Apple Watch outside to get away from the many magnetic sources found in a modern home. It is likely you will find different results, but I won't try to guess whether more or less accurate!

Apple Watch Compass Accuracy Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.