"Configure IPv4" set to Off doesn't fully disable IPv4 address usage

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to configure Mac's WiFi network to use only IPv6 address, but even when I set the "Configure IPv4" setting to Off in WiFi Settings > TCP/IP, I still receive an IPv4 address on MacOS Ventura 13.6.

My setup is as following:

HOST:

1. MacBook running Ventura 13.6
  2. Internet received via USB 10/100/1000 LAN interface
  3. WiFi shared via IPv6 DNS64/NAT64 network created following the Apple Developer guide - Test for IPv6 DNS64/NAT64 Compatibility Regularly ("Create NAT64 Network" enabled in System Settings > General > Internet sharing > WiFi)

CLIENT:

1. Another MacBook running Ventura 13.6
  2. WiFi interface only enabled and connected to the HOST's WiFi network
  3. "Configure IPv4" set to Off of that network (SSID > TCP/IP > )
  4. "Configure IPv6" set to Automatically

Is there a way I can fully disable the IPv4?

If I set the "Configure IPv6" to Manually, I get an IPv6 on the second screen, but I have no internet connectivity. Whereas in the first can, I do.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 4:20 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 1, 2023 8:26 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey Barney, that actually helped me - I've removed the DNS equal to the Gateway's address(IP of the hosting Mac) and re-added it, and I now have IPv6 connectivity on the Client Mac.

However, Manually setting IPv6 is a workaround and the Automatic option behavior seems to be a bug. Also the DNS screen sometimes shows address of the router as expected but it's not actually used by the network service as a primary DNS.

Anyway, I'm marking your answer as the best one, because it resolved my issue. Thank you!

"Configure IPv4" set to Off doesn't fully disable IPv4 address usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.