Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iOS 17 iPhone Alarm Turns Off with StandBy Mode

When StandBy Mode is turned on and active while the phone is in the landscape position, if the alarm goes off and the phone is disturbed (taken off the charger/ slightly bumped off the charger, or taken out of StandBy Mode the alarm will actually completely turn off.

The reason I hope this is just a setting I can disable without disabling STandBy mode is I like to check the time throughout the night, however, when i wake up in the morning I'd rather press a physical button as I've accidentally pressed the wrong one. But now every time I barely touch my phone it will stop the alarm and not snooze it.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 4:03 AM

Yep, second time in a week that I overslept by an hour because my alarm was mysteriously off while in StandBy mode. Been using the Sleep alarm for years without any issue, StandBy is the only new variable, frustrating bc I just bought a stand just to use with StandBy!

83 replies

Oct 3, 2023 4:26 AM in response to star_bug

Last night was my first night with some accessories including a MagSafe charging stand that I keep away from my bed. The idea is to be able to glance at the time or simply have to get up once the alarm sounds to turn it off. I had it set for 6 am and sadly I was only woken up by my dog at 7:10. When approaching my phone the screen awakened to show the alarm was indeed going off. Just no sound played. For reference the night before I had my phone on a regular non-standby qi charger and the alarm rang and I walked to it no problem. I will just leave my phone in portrait on the stand until fixed.

Oct 2, 2023 9:12 PM in response to SlimSim14

This is a serious issue that has to be addressed. Currently, it’s impossible to snooze an alarm once you touched your device. StandBy just cancels it.

Since StandBy gets automatically hidden once the device is picked up, the regular alarm overlay should be displayed.

I'll keep StandBy off until this issue gets fixed - I actually need to wake up in the morning.

Oct 11, 2023 7:18 PM in response to SlimSim14

Problem persists in iOS 17.0.3. I don’t think it’s too much to ask that an alarm works correctly when the iPhone is supposed to mimic an alarm clock in Standby mode. Hopefully Apple will fix it in an update soon. I’ve already officially reported the bug.

A good number of people here seem to be charging wirelessly. I charge wired and still have the same trouble on an iPhone 15 pro.

I never had any trouble with alarms in the past. Now I’m sleeping with iPhone vertical until Apple fixes it despite also buying a stand to use standby mode.

Oct 4, 2023 12:33 PM in response to SlimSim14

Well i see i am not the only one getting late to work because of this issue!

Up untill i bought my magsafe charger, coupled with a nice stand do put my iphone on, everything was working great - i use sleeep mode, set to wake me up at 7am. I also play music through my sleep, and i have 2 alarms set before sleep mode alarm kicks in, and then i have 2 alarms set 10 and 15 minutes after that ( don’t ask me why, i am just not a morning person and i need a sledgehammer to wake me up in the morning). Fast forward to iOs17 + standby mode - everything went to sh$t.. My first alarm set at 6:00 lam goes off normaly, but all later ones remain silent. I even did a test - i reset my sleep cycle to daytime to exactly replicate my night/morning conditions, and the same thing happens - my music plays, first alarm goes off, then all later alarms do not activate a sound - but the display does turn on when the set alarm should go off, and it just goes black after a few seconds, but no sound whatsoever…

PLEASE APPLE FIX THIS ASAP!!!

Oct 3, 2023 7:18 AM in response to SlimSim14

I'm also having major issues with the alarm clock since updating to iOS 17 and using Standby Mode. I kept having issues this week with waking & finding that my alarm was off. Initially I thought it was due to the "Face ID & Attention" setting "Attention Aware Feature" being turned on (thus the alarm getting softer when I looked at my phone). But this morning, I realized that when in standby mode, I was able to snooze. BUT when the snooze alarm went off, and I LOOKED AT my iphone without even touching it, the alarm shut off completely.

Jan 4, 2024 12:03 PM in response to SlimSim14

Possible fix (work around) got this from Reddit and seems to have worked for me.

Settings —> Accessibility —> Face ID & Attention —> Attention Aware Features OFF.

before this - was getting no alarms in standby mode, turned off standby and it worked fine. Really annoying as using in conjunction with Apple Watch and that wasn’t vibrating as it usually does with alarm in silent mode

changing the above setting makes alarms work again with Standby Mode: On.

Apparently “It thinks you are looking at the phone when the alarm goes off, so it silences it immediately”

the AttentionAware setting stops this happening ..or that’s theory anyway

Thread https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/s/2eHECJF3GE

Oct 8, 2023 5:42 AM in response to RCK18

The problem is when you have StandBy mode active and in Landscape to mimic the issue, disconnect the charging while the alarm is going, or slightly bump it off your MagSafe charging, it will automatically switch the alarm off without snoozing it. (I have bad eyesight and the last thing I want to do is look at a screen at night, so I used to press the volume button to snooze, now when I do that, I run the risk of switching the alarm off without it snoozing.

Oct 12, 2023 8:44 PM in response to SlimSim14

I set around 15 alarms to go off in the morning to wake me up. (I’m awful at making myself get up). So I give myself time to snooze. Ever since I’ve updated the newest one, anytime I snooze, the other Alarms aren’t going off or something? Idk but the past week I wake up to my 7 year old saying “momma, is today a school day?” Then I jump out of bed, get the kiddos ready & out the door but they’re already tardy! When the first alarm goes off, I usually just hold my phone in my hand so I can press the volume buttons to make it snooze. I’ve done this for literally YEARS. My kids are only allowed 5 tardies per school year and this past week has gotten us very close to that limit and we’re only 2 months in! I don’t have a wireless charger, just a regular type C. I did have standby mode set to on since the update bc I use the sleep focus at night to quiet notifications. But after the first 2 mornings of not waking, I stopped using the Sleep focus. I’m legit terrified to even go to sleep bc I can’t trust my alarms to actually do their job! So now I have to download an alarm app as a backup…which defeats the purpose of the built in alarm option😩

Oct 1, 2023 5:13 PM in response to SlimSim14

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities SlimSim14,

Tap Settings > Sounds & Haptics.

From here you have a few options, you can either tap Haptics under Ringtone and Alerts, and set it to None, or only play vibrations when your iPhone is either set to Silent, or Not Silent.

You can also tap Ringtone > Haptics, and set the Ringtone Haptics to None to turn off vibrations for calls.

The following page provides additional information that may be helpful: Change iPhone sounds and vibrations

Cheers!

Dec 1, 2023 9:16 AM in response to SlimSim14

This is why I went back to using my 1980s clock radio to wake me up! I just updated to iOS 17; never had nightstand mode before. First off, the blood red display was creepy to me. Second, Apple: STOP making us late for work and school! Not everyone can get out of bed as soon as the alarm is heard! I also use my alarm as a 2-in-1…it wakes me up, I hit snooze a couple times, then once I’m up it reminds me to take my morning medication! When I touch the phone in nightstand mode and it clears all my alarms, well, not very helpful!!

iOS 17 iPhone Alarm Turns Off with StandBy Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.