You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

soundbar no sound on my M1 Mac mini

My bookshelf speakers stopped working so bought a Samsung S61T Soundbar, trying to work out how to connect it. I’ve tried via HDMI but getting no sound and not even an option in sound outputs list. Tried with Toslink to 3.5 but knew that probably wouldn’t work on newer Mac Mini. So far only Bluetooth working but just causes sync issues. My Mac is connected to my Huawei Mateview 28 via mini DP to USB C

thanks for any help that can be given.

Mac mini, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 6:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 2:59 PM

yes, you're quite correct, Bairn76, the headphone port/jack cannot be used with Toslink on the Apple Silicon Macs

it USED to have a mini Toslink socket buried in there somewhere , on older models of Mac, and a mini Toslink digital optical plug would fit in there, and work quite nicely for digital optical audio/sound output, but that feature has been gone for some time now... you can get a USB or USB-C external sound card that could work.... here are the rough audio specs for your year of Mac Mini (the 2020 one) : Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Technical specifications (CA)

and, alas, as you can see, you get a headphone jack/socket, HDMI socket/port that supports multichannel audio out and that's about it...it also has two USB-A ports, 2 Thunderbolt 3 USB4 ports which support USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Thunderbolt 3.... so that's USB-C..... those are your options.... I'd go with a USB-A external sound card which supports Macs and offers Optical digital audio out of some kind, analog output, either via 3.5 mm headphone socket/jack or 2 RCA sockets or jacks.... This Amazon US link has something that should fit the bill well enough:

https://www.amazon.com/ASHATA-Converter-Digital-Windows-Windows2000/dp/B07Z3TQKFF/ref=sr_1_20?crid=2I3BSHPB58QP3&keywords=USB+external+sound+card&qid=1696110969&sprefix=usb+external+sound+card%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-20

copy and paste the whole link (the URL) into a new browser window and it should open in Amazon's website, says it works with Windows and Mac OS X OK, at least for stereo use.....

John B

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 30, 2023 2:59 PM in response to Bairn76

yes, you're quite correct, Bairn76, the headphone port/jack cannot be used with Toslink on the Apple Silicon Macs

it USED to have a mini Toslink socket buried in there somewhere , on older models of Mac, and a mini Toslink digital optical plug would fit in there, and work quite nicely for digital optical audio/sound output, but that feature has been gone for some time now... you can get a USB or USB-C external sound card that could work.... here are the rough audio specs for your year of Mac Mini (the 2020 one) : Mac mini (M1, 2020) - Technical specifications (CA)

and, alas, as you can see, you get a headphone jack/socket, HDMI socket/port that supports multichannel audio out and that's about it...it also has two USB-A ports, 2 Thunderbolt 3 USB4 ports which support USB 3.1 Gen 2 and Thunderbolt 3.... so that's USB-C..... those are your options.... I'd go with a USB-A external sound card which supports Macs and offers Optical digital audio out of some kind, analog output, either via 3.5 mm headphone socket/jack or 2 RCA sockets or jacks.... This Amazon US link has something that should fit the bill well enough:

https://www.amazon.com/ASHATA-Converter-Digital-Windows-Windows2000/dp/B07Z3TQKFF/ref=sr_1_20?crid=2I3BSHPB58QP3&keywords=USB+external+sound+card&qid=1696110969&sprefix=usb+external+sound+card%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-20

copy and paste the whole link (the URL) into a new browser window and it should open in Amazon's website, says it works with Windows and Mac OS X OK, at least for stereo use.....

John B

Sep 30, 2023 11:50 AM in response to Bairn76

Hi, Bairn76, you'd have to see if your Mac Mini supports HDMI audio output.... If you hold down the "Option" key on your keyboard and click on your speaker icon on the top menu, on your monitor, right side, just before the time display, it'll show you all available audio/sound outputs and inputs... otherwise go to "Audio MIDI setup" which is in your utilities folder and create an audio output over HDMI.....what year of manufacture is your Mac Mini ?, you should be able to find this out by going to "About this Mac" and it'll tell you....A model number would be nice as well, so that I (and we ) can sorta help you out....it starts with "A" then has 4 numbers/digits after that....you can post either the year of manufacture or the model number here. Please do not post serial numbers here....have you tried going to system preferences then Effects/Alerts, then output, then play Effect/Alert through.....and there should be a number of choices there....I don't think your Mac mini has a built in speaker, but I could be wrong....It has an Optical Digital (toslink) out, so you could try that....you'd have to set the sound output to Optical Digital (Toslink) and try playing an Effect/Alert....you should hear sound from the device you've connected....for the Toslink to 3.5 mm, is it a straight cable, or is it a digital audio to analog converter/adapter..with either 3.5mm headphone or speaker output or 2 RCA jacks..... .. you'd be wanting the second one for it to work successfully....

John B

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 30, 2023 1:46 PM in response to Johnb-one

Thanks for the very detailed reply, I will try what you’ve suggested and get back to you with some more details. I can tell you it’s a 2020 Mac mini which does have built in speakers, options I’ve been getting when trying hdmi or toslink in effects or main sound are my monitor built in speakers and the Mac mini speaker that’s it. Have read that the headphone port can not be used with Toslink on the Apple silicone Macs.

Cheers

soundbar no sound on my M1 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.