Update to Sonoma 14.1 has disappeared my photos, can't upload from Time Machine

The update to Sonoma has made all my photos disappear on my Mac so only the photos on iCloud will open (a fraction of my total photos). I have tried to open a back up from Time Machine and I get this message: The library “Photos Library.photoslibrary” is in a Time Machine backup. Open the original library.

I have copied and pasted the Time Machine back up of photos onto a folder in my Mac's hard drive (as was recommended on another advice page) and when I try to open that it says: “Photos Library.photoslibrary” is in iCloud Drive, and needs to be moved to a folder on your Mac to open.

Really stuck. Please advise!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 11:30 AM

I really regret updating to Sonoma 14.1 because I've lost all my Photos too.

In the future, I don't plan to use the updates. And I may even no longer buy a MAC!

Similar questions

20 replies

Jan 6, 2024 2:14 PM in response to LeanneVn

The same thing happened to me and no one at apple has the faintest clue. I wonder if Bill Gates has taken over their programming!

Anyways, here is what I did to recover my photos. Apparently, I had my photos in a different folder than the "pictures" folder located in "Macintosh HD/Users/'your user name"".

I went looking and found mine in "documents/pictures/photo library". Below Photo Library was a small "ignored" noting. Then I copied this file into the "pictures" folder in the previous paragraph and linked my photos to this library.

For linking this photo library I took the following steps:

1. Hold the Option key and double click on the Photos app.
  2. Choose the aforementioned "photo library" and open.

You will find all your photos up till the date that you updated with Sonoma.

But now my MacBook is not synchronizing with my phone that is uploading photos to iCloud.!! I probably have to find time to go to an Apple Store "genius bar" and find a "genius" who is actually a certified "genius" to get me out of this mess. Well, I found my photos at least.

Your pictures could be in a different folder than mine as I might have chosen that particular folder by choice when I first set up my apple computer and iCloud - many, many years ago. Look for "photos library" or whatever you might have named your folder. Mine was easy to find because of it's gigantic size.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Nov 21, 2023 2:13 PM in response to laurajmccarthy3

Would be interested to know what they said. That update basically erased my hard drive and put documents in icloud - which I don’t use - so it was minimal. And Finder was only showing icloud storage, not hard drive storage. I figured out how to ‘show’ the hard drive on Finder and transfer my back up from time machine onto it again. But I am reluctant to do the new update as it was quite a lot of work. Let us know what Apple Support says!

Oct 27, 2023 4:22 AM in response to LeanneVn

Eventually I resolved the issue. The default with Sonoma is that Finder only displays icloud and not the hard drive. As I do not pay extra for icloud, my photos could not be opened. I had to go to the settings in Finder and allow the Mac hard drive to be displayed. I could then copy the photos from Time Machine storage onto the hard drive (plenty of space) and now I can see all my photos again. Hope this might be helpful for someone.

Oct 21, 2023 1:01 PM in response to LeanneVn

I have had a few hours chatting to Apple support, he said customers need to call in and log this fault because he had not heard of this issue. Sadly up until now there has been no resolution other than to look at using alternative software to try and repair any corrupt files. That was going to cost £100 so I am awaiting another call back as that was not the answer I was looking for.

It looks like it removed the stored images and auto applied sync to icloud when that was not my option from before.

I don't hold much hope and will look at using time machine moving forward once this has been resolved one way or another. I have lost a lot of old photo's so it's an expensive lesson to learn when it comes down to the sentimental value.

Oct 1, 2023 12:02 PM in response to LeanneVn

To recover your Photos Library from Time Machine let Time Machine restore the library to a local folder on your Mac, as described here: Restore a library from Time Machine in Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Do not restore the Photos Library tomiCloud Drive. A Photos Library must not be stored on iCloud Drive. Photos cannot open it in a folder that is synced with some cloud service. Restore the Library to your Pictures folder or another local folder. If you need to save storage, restore the library to an external drive with a wired connection (not a NAS), see: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 11, 2023 11:41 AM in response to LeanneVn

I thankfully did a backup on my Mac right after upgrading my phone, so all my photos and videos were there. I had to do a full restore, which meant completely starting from scratch, but once there everything resynced to icloud and all my other devices.

word to the wise - don't trust icloud as your only backup. Routinely back up your devices to your Mac to ensure you never face this issue.

Update to Sonoma 14.1 has disappeared my photos, can't upload from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.