Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

17.0.2 Update -> iPad Pro is Unresponsive

I tried to update my iPad Pro 12.9 (3rd generation) from 17.0 to 17.0.2. I was using the iPad reliably just before the update, but during the update installation, the screen went dark. Now, the device is completely unresponsive. I tried a hard restart, but it didn't work. I tried to connect to a Windows 11 computer using iTunes, but the PC didn't detect the device. The Genius at the Apple Store couldn't get it to power on either but ran diagnostics only to tell me that the device was in the middle of the update. The Genius thinks I should buy a new one. I'd like to know if anyone else has had my experience or recommends another solution. Thanks.

iPad

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 8:49 AM

I will guess you or the Apple tech also could not get it to go to the recovery screen?

Is your iPad disabled? How to fix it using iTunes or iCloud | Asurion

I know your iPad is not disabled, but that doc has instructions on how to get the iPad in recovery mode where it should be recognized by your PC and iTunes. Basically, on yours you just hold down the home button and plug the iPad into your PC. I know you probably tried this, but I had to ask! Also, maybe the iPad is on but the update messed up the screen somehow. Press and hold the power button like you are going to power it off using the slide graphic that normally appears. Maybe it is there but you cannot see it. Take a guess where it is after you hold down the power button for a few secs and wait about 30 seconds, then try putting it in recover mode again. I know this is a long shot, but may be work a try! Sorry to hear about your iPad problem!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 8:49 AM in response to KC_Bruno

I will guess you or the Apple tech also could not get it to go to the recovery screen?

Is your iPad disabled? How to fix it using iTunes or iCloud | Asurion

I know your iPad is not disabled, but that doc has instructions on how to get the iPad in recovery mode where it should be recognized by your PC and iTunes. Basically, on yours you just hold down the home button and plug the iPad into your PC. I know you probably tried this, but I had to ask! Also, maybe the iPad is on but the update messed up the screen somehow. Press and hold the power button like you are going to power it off using the slide graphic that normally appears. Maybe it is there but you cannot see it. Take a guess where it is after you hold down the power button for a few secs and wait about 30 seconds, then try putting it in recover mode again. I know this is a long shot, but may be work a try! Sorry to hear about your iPad problem!

Oct 2, 2023 4:01 PM in response to Mikekoz

Thank you. You got me SO close! iTunes recognized the iPad, said it was in DFU mode, and that it needed to be restored. I selected Restore iPad, which it tried to do (the Apple logo even appeared). iTunes then said that the iPad had been restored, but quickly returned the same DFU mode message. I did this process a half dozen times to no avail. It's as if it's stuck in DFU mode. Thank you again for the advice!

Oct 2, 2023 4:41 PM in response to KC_Bruno

That is really odd! I do not think I have ever seen an iPad do that before. If you can, try restoring it using another computer and make sure iTunes is up to date. Do you know anybody that has a Mac? That would be worth a try also. You can also try running the restore with your antivirus app temporarily disabled.

17.0.2 Update -> iPad Pro is Unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.