My iMac won't upgrade to Sonoma

I have been trying for 3 days to download to Sonoma and every time, it appears as if it's completed but then in system settings it still says Software update available as if it never started. When I click on upgrade, it starts it all over again but never actually downloads it when it's complete. There is no partial download sitting in my downloads. I have checked that I have a compatible mac and I do and I am running Ventura 13.5.2. What is going on? Do I not have enough memory? Physical memory is 16.0GB, memory used is 8.35GB, cached files is 5.13GB and swap used is 0 bytes.

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 2:51 PM

To add to BDAqua's recommendations consider the following:

In the past I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the downloading and installing so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 2:51 PM in response to SV121

To add to BDAqua's recommendations consider the following:

In the past I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interferes with the downloading and installing so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

My iMac won't upgrade to Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.