Using Homepod (2nd Gen) as a wired portable speaker

I'm curious about the ease and speed of moving the Homepod around the house—eg: having three or four power cables in different rooms and then taking it to those places as and when needed. Whether it needs to be powered down, how long it takes to power up, etc. Seems to me that it ought to be possible, but might be tedious or time-consuming. If anyone's tried it, I'd like to know whether or not you recommend it. Thanks.

HomePod (2nd generation)

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 5:11 PM

The power cable can’t be removed for one, if that’s what you meant?

However you can move it around easily and it powers on right away. No data lost. The only issue is if you assigned to its original room it might not understand “turn off the lights” because without naming the room you want the lights to turn off in, it usually does it to the lights in that corresponding room. If that’s not important, then it’s ok to move it to other rooms.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 5:11 PM in response to steelfixer

The power cable can’t be removed for one, if that’s what you meant?

However you can move it around easily and it powers on right away. No data lost. The only issue is if you assigned to its original room it might not understand “turn off the lights” because without naming the room you want the lights to turn off in, it usually does it to the lights in that corresponding room. If that’s not important, then it’s ok to move it to other rooms.

Oct 1, 2023 7:19 PM in response to Vancouver22

I appreciate the response—the room commands are not an issue. Can it just be unplugged before moving, or does it need to be powered down?

Re: the power cord—I'd understood from reviews that it's detachable in the new model (eg: https://www.theverge.com/23578606/apple-homepod-2-second-gen-2023-siri-smart-speaker-review). Is that not the case?

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Oct 2, 2023 12:48 PM in response to steelfixer

The HomePod mini cable can be detached but the big HomePods can’t. I’ve seen people force them out but it’s not something I would do. It should be ok if you’re moving to simply unplug them. For moving house, the only thing would be connecting to a new wifi network. You might need to reset them, then set them up again with your iPhone once it’s been connected to the new wifi. I would wait until you moved in, get the iPhone on the new wifi and see if the HomePod tries to copy the network once you’ve plugged it in. If not you need to reset and set up again. Moving them around the house is fine though. I often rearrange mine and they reconnect after power outages. They might take a few minutes to reconnect to wifi once unplugged. You’ll know it’s back online once Siri can answer your question

Using Homepod (2nd Gen) as a wired portable speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.