Related Article: Switch your AirPods to another device

Can I configure my Airpods to ONLY connect to my phone and NEVER my iPad?

I have a phone and an iPad. I brought my iPad with the intention that I could play music for my napping son on my iPad while listening to audiobooks (with Airpods) on my phone. But my iPad was automatically connecting to the Airpods when I put them in. When I told my iPad to "forget this device," it automatically disconnected my phone.

Which means it's controlled by account and not by device. I only only ONLY want my Airpods to connect to my phone, full stop.

Worse still, while flying last week, every time I opened my Airpods, my son's iPad (on his own account, connected by Family) prompts him, "Do you want to connect to this device?" This pauses his show and he doesn't know how to deal (he's only 3).

How can I prevent my Airpods from trying to connect to every Apple product in range? These should never try to connect to any random device when I'm not holding down the Pair button. This should be an extention of my iPhone and that's it.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 3:21 PM

AirPods pairing are sync via iCloud to all devices with the same AppleID. However, you can disable auto-switching to achieve what you desire.

See Switch your AirPods to another device - Apple Support for more info.

1 reply

Can I configure my Airpods to ONLY connect to my phone and NEVER my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.