Uploading usb to my new MacBook air

I just got a new Mac air and have software on a usb drive. How do I install this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 7:23 PM

patriciafrommanheim Said:

"Uploading usb to my new MacBook air: I just got a new Mac air and have software on a usb drive. How do I install this?"

-------

Mount the Drive, Apparently:

If you are trying to access an external hard drive, but are unable to do so, then you likely need to mount it.

To Mount it:

Boot into Recovery Mode. (Silicon Chip or Intel Clip): Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Spinning Wheel:

Seeing a spinning wheel, it appears there is no volume seen. So, mount the drive, and then try once more. Report back if it works.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 7:23 PM in response to patriciafrommanheim

patriciafrommanheim Said:

"Uploading usb to my new MacBook air: I just got a new Mac air and have software on a usb drive. How do I install this?"

-------

Mount the Drive, Apparently:

If you are trying to access an external hard drive, but are unable to do so, then you likely need to mount it.

To Mount it:

Boot into Recovery Mode. (Silicon Chip or Intel Clip): Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Spinning Wheel:

Seeing a spinning wheel, it appears there is no volume seen. So, mount the drive, and then try once more. Report back if it works.

Oct 1, 2023 7:16 PM in response to patriciafrommanheim

Do you mean that you have an USB flash drive, USB hard drive, or USB SSD that connects to a computer using a cable with a USB-A plug?

Assuming that the software is compatible with the new Mac, and the only problem is connecting the drive, Apple sells a USB-C to USB-A adapter that should do the trick. (There are many hubs, docks, and adapters from other vendors that have USB-A ports, and will do the job, too. Even USB-C to Micro USB-B 3.0 cables to substitute for the USB-A to Micro USB-B 3.0 cables that come with many portable hard drives.)

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Uploading usb to my new MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.