Downgrade iOS using backup

I’ve updated my iPhone 11 to iOS 17 which is causing all sorts of issues and would like to revert back to the previous iOS.

Before the update, i was running the most recent version of 16 (can’t remember the number) and did a full backup on my computer before installing 17.

I am thinking of doing a hard factory reset of my phone and doing a restore from the backup on my computer.

Would that work?

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 8:33 AM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2023 10:00 AM in response to Megantic

There is no "Apple Supported" path backwards. If you find a way outside of Apple, you take a big chance you'll brick your phone, which means whatever issues you may be facing won't make much difference if that happens.

You haven't given us a clue what issues you're having, but if they really are causing you pain, I'd schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar for help. Most people I know on iOS 17, aren't having any significant issues.

Oct 2, 2023 1:44 PM in response to Megantic

Megantic wrote:

IOS 17 is really wreaking havoc between my phone and computer. Is there absolutely no way to go back to a version that works on my older phone?

I had no problems with iOS 17 on my iPhone 11 Pro. In addition to the suggestion to visit your local Apple Store, you could also post what your specific problems are here in these forums. Start a new thread to do so.

Downgrade iOS using backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.