battery drain on iPad OS 17

battery drain on iPadOS 17, I just updated my iPad AIR5 and Ipad AIR5 M1 version 17.0.2

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 2:14 PM

iOS 17 update on iPad has destroyed my battery. Dead all the time

28 replies

Oct 3, 2023 8:45 AM in response to BallPanupan

The same problem on the iPad 9 device tried all the tips, nothing helped, it still runs out quickly, most likely the bug version, we are waiting for the bug fix in version 17.0.3, I hope it will be released soon. Interestingly, has anyone written to support that charging is quickly discharged? Fix this problem as soon as possible

Nov 16, 2023 12:45 PM in response to BallPanupan

Solution that worked for me.

iPad Pro 11inch 3rd gen, ?2021

Problem: with iOS17 I've been having far worse performance (slow), universal control cutting out all the time, poor or failed iCloud Syncing, poor battery life (was running all day with Magic Keyboard 3months ago) and battery testing dropping significantly 700/1000 → 640/1000) (https://apps.apple.com/ao/app/battery-testing/id887730232)

Failed attempts to fix/improve

• log out and in to iCloud - x
  • Turn iPad on and off - x
  • Force Restart iPad - x
  • Change settings to use less power (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVZ2dLm6Y4) - x
  • Reduce screen brightness and run dark mode - x
  • All the advised universal control fixes from every post - x
  • Restore iPad from full back up on MBP - x

I just went full nuclear option and did a complete restore with a full manual set up from scratch.

I did this recently with my new MBP (i.e. did not use migration assistant) and was really happy with how much junk got cleared out. Apparently with apple products this isn't necessary, but I think that's rubbish, clearly not transferring all your old junk from your old device is going to be beneficial

1. Backed up iPad to MBP (just in case, but didn't use)
  2. Fully erased and restored factory settings
  3. Manually set up iPad from scratch, did not install any back ups, did everything fully manually as if setting up an iOS device for the very first time
    • This did take several hours
    • downloaded all apps from app store,
    • Had to arrange backgrounds, app layout, and settings all from scratch
    • Had to re-login to all apps
    • Had to re-sync all iCloud apps
    • Was a huge pain in the *** to get done

Results; It has only been 24 hours but wow what a difference. Runs like a brand new iPad, all iCloud syncing perfectly, battery life is barely dropping, battery testing app has battery at 989/1000. Universal control works first time instantly.

So far in my mind worth the effort, but will repost if performance just drops again.

Oct 2, 2023 9:41 AM in response to BallPanupan

If you continue to experience excessive battery drain, try a forced-restart of your iPad.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If the problem persists after performing the restart, it may be necessary to reset your iPad settings. While this reset will not cause any loss of data, as a precaution, it is always wise to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before performing the reset:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are happy to proceed, you can perform the reset from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings

If the problem still doesn’t clear, the next step is to reset the iPad to factory settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Otherwise, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad - and you can explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Oct 3, 2023 9:06 AM in response to BallPanupan

The same problem on the iPad 9 device tried all the tips, nothing helped, it still runs out quickly, most likely the bug version, we are waiting for the bug fix in version 17.0.3, I hope it will be released soon. Interestingly, has anyone written to support that charging is quickly discharged? To fix this problem as soon as possible ?

Jan 4, 2024 10:05 AM in response to philsu

YES, ipad pro going almost dead overnight and draining as I use it. Did all the steps to improve but after having the same battery issue with my iphone, I will also backup and set up from scratch for the ipad.. iphone and I are much happier. BUT I did have an issue with getting some photos and message back on after I did a backup to my mac mini. Think I did restore from backup instead of clean install which was why I had issues..

I use ProCreate a lot do NOT want to loose those sketches so not sure to back that up, maybe do a backup on icloud as well to be safe?

Also, very disappointed when Apple does not recognize the problem and makes us run in circles. Clearly lots of junk or legacy files that did not get reinstalled fixes the problem.

Jan 15, 2024 10:55 AM in response to BallPanupan

I have big problems as well after updating to iOS 17. After updating to 17.2 i expected the issue to be fixed but they became much worse. I am having constant shutdown's,battery overheating badly pretty much my IPad Air 4 is unusable.Battery is draining so fast now and most of the time doesn’t event shows on screen anymore.Only an empty rectangle. Looks like the update damaged my battery on top of constant crashing/shut down.I am very disappointed in Apple.

Jan 19, 2024 6:54 PM in response to philsu

Now 2 months on since full manual restore of iPad Pro from scratch, results → running beautifully.

All issues remain resolved

• battery performance fixed, testing scores still in the "perfect" range (978/1000)
  • Universal control now just works all the time
  • iCloud and iCloud Drive syncing much better

I know the issues with iOS17 issues are frustrating but at least in my experience they are fixable. Although it is a difficult and time consuming fix doing a full factory reset and then rebuilding device from scratch (without using a back up), but I feel like can reasonably recommend it as a solution, given my experience

battery drain on iPad OS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.