BBC News app not working on iPhone & iPad

I have iPhone 5s running iOS 12.5.7. Previously installed apps such as BBC News suddenly stopped working, requiring updating to latest version requiring iOS 13>. Option to download latest compatible version doesn’t work. This is common with other previously installed apps. Help please.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 6:11 AM

I have same problem with my wife’s old iPad mini 2 which is now relegated to a kitchen device, used only for BBC news and cooking recipes. Now the BBC news app refuses to run - but I think this is an app problem rather than iOS. The app says the installed version has expired, forcing an update from the App Store which can’t/won’t happen. I think we need a version of the old BBC News app that doesn’t force the update.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2023 6:11 AM in response to VikingOSX

I have same problem with my wife’s old iPad mini 2 which is now relegated to a kitchen device, used only for BBC news and cooking recipes. Now the BBC news app refuses to run - but I think this is an app problem rather than iOS. The app says the installed version has expired, forcing an update from the App Store which can’t/won’t happen. I think we need a version of the old BBC News app that doesn’t force the update.

Nov 4, 2023 1:15 PM in response to rincofruit

This did not work for my IPAD AIR running 12.5.7 in Nov 23. However it is possible to save a safari website to the home screen of your phone using the "share" icon at the top of the web page and scrolling till it allows you to save your favourite (web page) to the home page. As the latest version of BBC News which requires IOS 13 is considered a downgrade by many users, you are probably better using the web page version anyway which works well.

Oct 3, 2023 2:11 AM in response to Confusedwithapple10

I too am experiencing this problem! It clearly states that one can download earlier versions - but it seems impossible to do so. I found earlier versions available online but am unable to install the .apk file once it is downloaded. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Ridiculous situation when we are driven to replacing perfectly good phones because of one software developer.

Oct 6, 2023 4:08 PM in response to Confusedwithapple10

Confusedwithapple10 wrote:

That just cannot be correct, my wife and I have a couple of iPad mini 3s running 12.5.7, are we meant to buy two new iPads, that is ridiculous! Especially when there is meant to be an option to run the last compatible version, which is not working.
surely there is a work round.

You read that wrong. You can continue to use your eight-year old iPad mini 3's until they fail, but you almost certainly will not find new iOS applications in the App Store being developed for iOS 12.5.7. Developer's need to eat too and they do so by keeping applications current with new operating system features, and Apple enforces developer's by screening new applications against the current iOS/iPadOS development kits.

The last compatible version of iOS for iPad mini 3's is iOS 12.5.7. The last compatible version of an iOS application is the one you can actually install from the App Store and use without problems.

Oct 24, 2023 1:09 AM in response to 5thBoxer

I just had this same issue and have found a solution! Running an iPad mini 2 in 12.5.7 here and ran into the ‘download older version’ loop prompt in the App Store.

to solve this, simply delete the app from your device then redownload on the App Store . You’ll be asked if you want to download an older version again but this time IT WILL WORK! :)

BBC News app not working on iPhone & iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.