You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Option keys stopped working

I have a non-Apple keyboard that I've used for 3 years with my Mac Mini M1 2020. A few days ago, both Option keys became unresponsive. I don't think I've changed anything at all, nor did any updates during this time. I did just update to Sonoma 14.0 today, and unplugged then reset my keyboard, and the problem persists. I use the Option key daily for work for typing, text jumping, and in Excel and am hoping there's a quick fix. I saw that someone asked this question in 2020 also, which made me think this is a software issue rather than hardware.

When the Mac's "Keyboard Viewer" is up, all keys appear responsive except for the Option and Function key. I'm not sure if the Function key has always been that way because I never or rarely use it. But Control and Command show up fine. Because it is a keyboard with the Windows layout, I do flip the position of the Command and Option keys in System Settings -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Modifier Keys to make it like a Mac layout. But it's been working fine that way for years, and upon checking that the settings are still the same. Any help here is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 5:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 5:19 PM

Sounds like some old hackie is causing this behavior! So first make sure you have no older hackie plugins installed during your upgrade! The boot in Safe Mode and back into your normal account to see if it continues!

2 replies

Oct 2, 2023 5:50 PM in response to satcomer

Solved, thank you and I wish I could delete my post because it was user error with the keyboard, not the Mac. But your answer helped me keep searching for possible solutions. After figuring out what hackie plugins might mean, and going through my apps, I downloaded the manual for my keyboard, and must have accidentally set something called the "Windows Lock Feature" that pressing three grouped keys initiates. I tried it again to turn it off and Option now works. Awesome!

Option keys stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.