Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Camera Blurry and Out of Focus

Hi All,

It seems im not having a very good experience with the new iPhone 15 Pro Max. Coming from a 14 Pro Max the pictures were great. nice and sharp, never had issues with "blur" or "grainy" photo's.

This new iPhone seems to be a downgrade in the photo's it can produce. I'm constantly getting very grainy photo's even with the slightest bit of zoom after the photo has been taken.

I have tried all resolution's etc (12mp, 24mp, 48mp HEIF & Pro Raw.) this has affected th 1x and 5x camera.

My 14 won me a few awards for photo's and consider myself fairly knowledgeable on iPhone Photography. The 15 just isn't putting out good quality images.

All photo's are stored "on device" so there is no iCloud trickery happening.

The below is an example of what I am talking about.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2023 5:06 PM

I am experiencing the same. The shot looks great until I capture the photo. Once captured, it turns grainy and looks nothing like it did in the initial shot. Ive tried turning all of the auto settings off to see if that helps and it hasn’t. Super disappointed! My 13 Pro took better photos.

Similar questions

526 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2023 5:06 PM in response to Doesntmstter

I am experiencing the same. The shot looks great until I capture the photo. Once captured, it turns grainy and looks nothing like it did in the initial shot. Ive tried turning all of the auto settings off to see if that helps and it hasn’t. Super disappointed! My 13 Pro took better photos.

Oct 14, 2023 1:04 AM in response to Doesntmstter

Today i took two pictures of the same test sheet (12MP Raw on both iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro) and you can clearly see, that the text on the iPhone 15 Pro Photo is only sharp in the center, getting more and more blurry in the corners while the text on the iPhone 13 Pro photo is perfectly sharp throughout the whole picture.

13 Pro // Full page and 100% crop

15 Pro // Full page and 100% crop

This isn´t normal right?

Oct 17, 2023 7:25 AM in response to Doesntmstter

I left the comment before and now I solved the problem.

I called to Apple Support, was talking with them, but they could do nothing. Then my good friend, who is working in Apple Support 😉 advised me to recover my iPhone with complete erasure of data. Yes, it’s a big deal, but I did it. Then started iPhone 15PM without using Apple ID and without my data and BINGO! The camera just amazing! Then I erased again and set up it like my iPhone with my iCloud transfer data.

You can reset it through Mac directly. I did it with 3utools.

As my friend said it could be a software error when you transfered your data first time. Sometimes it happens with new iOS and new phones.

Nov 24, 2023 4:01 AM in response to Doesntmstter

Report this to Apple...

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of this, if you don't report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: burry out of focus photos. Include the URL of this thread
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Dec 3, 2023 1:35 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

I have the same problem. I’m a photographer and it’s obvious that the front camera of iPhone 15 Pro is blurry and out of focus.

I am familiar with high end cameras and post processing. I’m using Sony A7iii and edit my photos in Lightroom.

Unless you have the actual phone (iPhone 15 Pro), you won’t see and understand where all of these people are coming from. The photos are out of focus — the reason why they look so grainy.

Oct 11, 2023 7:30 AM in response to Doesntmstter

I definitely agree, all my photos appear darker, grainy, and overall worse. I upgraded from the 13 pro to the 15 plus, and immediately noticed the difference. It is only after I’ve captured the picture does it then appear ruined which leads me to suspect a software issue over hardware issue as though there is some processing that impacts the quality of the actual image. Overall I have found this to be frustrating, I updated immediately, so I hadn’t seen any discourse surrounding it until now. Hopefully Apple can fix this. I’ve resorted to using my iPad Air over my iPhone now for this reason which is ridiculous.

Oct 11, 2023 4:45 AM in response to i_Mike

Between stints at the tiller & trimming sails, I photographed a sailboat race this past Saturday with both my wife’s iPhone 11 & my new iPhone 15 Pro Max. I am a professional photographer, so I do know the main cause of an unsharp photo is camera movement. I shoot w/a steady hand.

Results: The iPhone 11 shots did not require tweaking in Photoshop; iPhone 15 Pro Max shots needed work. The later came out lacking punch, lacking good contrast.

The 5X’s optical zoom was terrific, by the way.

Thoughts?

Oct 11, 2023 7:29 AM in response to CaptainMikeyBones

Not sure this is helpful but I’ve had issues with focus with my iPhone 14PM. I had a 12PM prior to that which took amazing photos. I’m a photographer also and noticed the same loss of focus/grain/watercolor effect on my 14PM & none of that with the 12PM. I have been searching all year for an answer. I’ve seen the phototonic engine blamed for it many times due to the over processing it adds to photos. Thank you for your comment. I saves me from getting a 15PM and having to return it.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Camera Blurry and Out of Focus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.