Airdrop does not transfer more than 50 or 60 photos in new iOS

Hi here. I have updated both my phone and Mac to new iOs. Everything was just fine before however after this update, Airdrop does not allow transferring more than 50 to 70 photos and videos and I have to select in groups of 30 to 40 to transfer photos. As a property surveyor I take 2000 photos and 70 short videos of 1 to 3 minutes a day which I have to transfer at the end of working day. However this is now a nightmare and not possible. Please would you report this to Apple or provide a professional reasonable advice.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 9:02 AM

I use what Old Toad suggests (though with Photos app for imports and not Image Capture), and it is fast and easy and works fine, and imports the photos directly into the macOS Photos app library.

Another option is using iCloud Photos, which uploads the photos to iCloud as you take them.

Here are the import options:

Overview of importing photos and videos into Photos on Mac - Apple Support

This is the import path (Photos app) used around here:

Import photos from a camera or phone using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Image Capture app is also a good choice, particularly if you’re not using Photos app.

If your Mac is running macOS 10.13 and the hardware supports it, also consider an upgrade to newer macOS.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2023 9:02 AM in response to Old Toad

I use what Old Toad suggests (though with Photos app for imports and not Image Capture), and it is fast and easy and works fine, and imports the photos directly into the macOS Photos app library.

Another option is using iCloud Photos, which uploads the photos to iCloud as you take them.

Here are the import options:

Overview of importing photos and videos into Photos on Mac - Apple Support

This is the import path (Photos app) used around here:

Import photos from a camera or phone using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Image Capture app is also a good choice, particularly if you’re not using Photos app.

If your Mac is running macOS 10.13 and the hardware supports it, also consider an upgrade to newer macOS.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Oct 3, 2023 4:06 PM in response to behi987

behi987 wrote:

Thank you for your time. The problem is I have a lot of photos each foldered in my phone with addresses. I have approximately 100,000 photos in my phone for the past 6 months. When I connect the phone, it shoes all the photos and not the folders that I have made for each groups of photos?

This is a situation that other high-volume photographers have also found themselves in.

You’re past what your own process design can support, far past what the built-in tools can reasonably provide for sorting and organization of all of these photos, and are headed for either some available photo-hosting app, or toward creating your own photo tooling for your own preferred process.

And I would not expect AirDrop to be particularly useful here generally, given the “fun” that both ad-hoc and infrastructure Wi-Fi can too often encounter.

More generally, a common mistake awaits here, too: your metadata would be best implemented within the existing or your own added EXIF metadata, but if this follows the usual pattern you’ve used file metadata (file dates) and subdirectories / folders, and things will get messy when any of that changes. Changes tend to happen when files get copied, or restored or such, for instance. EXIF metadata gets embedded in the file, and is copied around unless explicitly expunged.

I’m not particularly following apps for high-volume photography, but I expect there are existing choices here. If not, maybe Claris FileMaker can help you build your own apps and process and storage.

Airdrop does not transfer more than 50 or 60 photos in new iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.