Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Xcode downloads but will not install iOS 17 and watchOS 10 SDKs

I want to use the iOS simulator on my Mac for a bit of web dev.

Xcode is installed, via the App Store. And, Xcode has downloaded the packages for iOS 17 and watchOS 10. But it doesn't install them.

It just keeps telling me they aren't installed and offering a "Get" button, which when clicked pops up the download window showing me that it's already downloaded.

In Settings -> Platform I see lines for iOS 17.0 with the Get button (which just brings up the download window). And under that is a line for iOS 17.0 Simulator, which shows that it's downloaded.

Trying to start an Xcode project for iOS just tells me that iOS isn't installed and gives me the "Get" button which... blah blah blah. Back to the download box.

Double-clicking or right-clicking on anything/everything has not yielded any install dialog. I'm sure I must be missing something simple, but, what?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere; I searched within the forum and couldn't find an answer.

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2024 12:11 PM

After installing you need to restart the machine. Uncheck reopen current widows.

Similar questions

14 replies

Dec 6, 2023 2:11 AM in response to mattriffle

I get the same thing. I d/l and ran the iOS 17.0 CLI install as per the instructions given in this thread. It ran just fine. Opening Xcode, the canvas area still shows "iOS not installed." with a GET button.

My Xcode Platforms list shows:

macOS 14.0 - Built in

iOS 17.0(grayed out) - Get button

iOS 17.0.1 Simulator - 7.21 on disk

iOS 17.0 Simulator - 7.56 on disk

watch and tv are greyed out.

But i can't get the canvas to show up no matter what I do. I keep going in the same loop, get, install, launch, says it's not installed. Arg!!!!

Dec 19, 2023 3:41 AM in response to MrHoffman

I downloaded the latest iOS Sim. Tried to install from command line. It spit out the following error:

sudo xcrun simctl runtime add "iOS_17.2_Simulator_Runtime.dmg"

D: 25269EA8-085B-446D-ABE4-38077DE1BDF3 iOS (17.2 - 21C62) (Unusable - Other Failure: Error Domain=SimDiskImageErrorDomain Code=5 "Duplicate of 8D3A7D3A-DC4B-4C6C-8F52-8F4B6FCFBE0C" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Duplicate of 8D3A7D3A-DC4B-4C6C-8F52-8F4B6FCFBE0C, unusableErrorDetail=})

May 2, 2024 8:29 AM in response to mattriffle

After downloading 17.2 the download just showed it finished. Didnt do nothing. Downloaded 17.0, it did a verification at the end of the download and it got stuck again after that. Then I restarted the PC with "Reopen windows..." unchecked. Now it is showing me the device list again with the 2 new OS I downloaded.

WTF Apple??? Seems to be an issue with XCode 15.2 only. Me and my team encountered this issue at the same time

May 3, 2024 9:09 AM in response to mattriffle

I had the same thing happen to me, but one of the responses mentioned that although the package was downloaded, it still needed to be installed.

Knowing that, I went into System Preferences and, lo and behold, saw that there was an available update for XCode that needed to be installed (it was because I had just downloaded that iOS 17.2 package).

So after clicking on this to install the update, I had to restart my computer to apply the change. I had already tried to apply the change by just quitting and reopening XCode, but that didn't work, so I took drastic measures and restarted the entire computer, lol.

Anyways, after giving XCode some time to load, this particular issue was resolved (I have to fix some more issues, but, at least, I'm past that one.)

May 7, 2024 10:06 AM in response to amgad130

I am just sitting here laughing, because I do not know what else to do, at the fact that I have followed this advice and it has worked.

Like. Oh, of course. I just had to restart my machine after installing this new software. That I thought I had installed and was using up until this morning when XCode informed me that I needed to install it.

Xcode downloads but will not install iOS 17 and watchOS 10 SDKs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.