Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

What year is my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd generation?

I need to know if its compatible with some 3rd party software I use for work. I googled and looks like 2 years far apart they were built with the 12.9 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Edited by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 11:28 AM

5 replies

Oct 5, 2023 1:53 PM in response to timfromcape carteret

Hi timfromcape carteret,

We are more than happy to provide you with additional details.

For accuracy, did you purchase your device brand new while it was the latest model?

If yes, you can us the details on the article we've provided as a reference.

As mentioned in the article the iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation), is a 2017 year model.

The A1670 model is a designation for the Wi-Fi only model.

By 2018, the iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)is launched.

Here is the article again for your convenience: Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

Take care!

Apr 27, 2024 8:21 PM in response to timfromcape carteret

I don't know when your particular iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation) (Wi-Fi) was built – and for the purposes of determining compatibility, the date it rolled off the assembly line in the factory doesn't matter. Most developers of iPhone and iPad apps are more concerned with the version of iOS or iPadOS that your device is running than with anything else.

According to MacTracker,

• Apple released your model in June 2017.
  • Apple discontinued that model in October 2018.
  • That model originally shipped with iOS 10.3.3 (now very outdated and incompatible with many apps).
  • That model can run the latest version of iPadOS - iPadOS 17.

Apple's Support article confirms that your iPad Pro is compatible with iPadOS 17.

iPad models compatible with iPadOS 17 - Apple Support

If you're not already running the latest release of iOS 17, and wish to update, see:

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Updating iOS: common issues and solutions - Apple Community

About iOS 17 Updates - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.