Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

FCLM doesn't analyze all FCP libraries.

Final Cut Library Manager (FCLM) only analyzes some of my libraries on my 4TB SSD. Anyone else have this problem? And a cure?

I contacted Arctic Whiteness and they said they might help. A follow-up said the same thing. They need to reproduce the problem. Fair enough. They might write a special version of the app that logs more errors. Also, they might want to do a remote session on my Mac. I said yest to both. Still waiting after a follow-up a second round of emails on Sep 27, to which they replied pretty much the same thing, also saying "it's not easy at all."

So I was just wondering if anyone here has had the same problem and how they fixed it. I do not want to "throw out" my SSD over this!

Also, why is the Mac so vulnerable to external devices anyway? Do PC's have this problem? OpenVMS doesn't. Stratus doesn't. Unix and Linux, AFAIK, don't. Well, the worst I've seen on OpenVMS is a disk stuck in the MntVerifyDismount state (or something like that), or a process that gets hung. Everything else continues to work fine. But on the Mac, one of the first steps in troubleshooting is often to disconnect all of your external devices. Why is macOS so vulnerable to external devices?

I did try that here, and found that if either or both of two particular disks are mounted, some of the libraries don't get analyzed and come up with the wrong size, even on the good ones (though much fewer than on the bad ones). And on those same disks, many Final Cut libraries are not analyzed properly, coming up with a wrong size, often Zero bytes! If either of those bad drives is connected, but dismounted, everything works fine. I do not have to physically disconnect the bad drives to fix the problem. But they both have to be dismounted.

Can anyone here help?

TIA!

FCP versions 10.4.6, 10.6.6, 10.6.8

The bad drives:

OWC Envoy Pro USB-C Media - APFS 4TB SSD drive

LaCie Mobile Drive Media - ExFAT 4TB HDD (not especially important)

The good drives:

M1 24" internal SSD

WD My Passport 2627 Media

macOS 12.7 (also fails with 12.6.x)

FCLM v3.97 and a few earlier versions

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 1:36 PM

Don't use ExFat for FCP drives. Use HFS+ or APFS. Format storage devices for Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 3, 2023 2:30 PM in response to terryb

Only the LaCie is ExFAT. I use it to transfer files from Windows to Mac Well, not very often! I also use it as an archive for the "just in case" libraries. Very much so JIC. The ones I should probably delete, but am paranoid about them. It's a very slow drive, so not much to gain by deleting the JIC files.

The other bad drive is formatted APFS. So it's not that.

Everything else works fine. It's only FCLM.

>>>>>>>> Oops. I accidentally clicked Best Answer! Cra . <<<<<<<<

FCLM doesn't analyze all FCP libraries.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.