will superdrive read CD burn on a Windows computer?

I have a 2010 mac-mini that won't read or recognize CD's DVD's I burned on a windows

machine years ago... videos and music CD's. Will a new Superdrive work any better on

a 2020 Macbook Air?

Mac mini

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 8:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 1:04 PM

Yes, as long as it’s plugged directly into your Mac or into a dock that is powered, as it uses 5 volts or more( on occasion) to work… 2.5 or 3 volts won’t work, it has to be 5 volts plus… technically any external dvd drive/burner should work as long as it says “works with Mac and Windows”… I presume you’ve already tried to use a cd/dvd cleaning disc in your 2010 Mac Mini’s optical ( cd+ dvd drive) … I’ve used the ones with brushes built in successfully) … if you did, and it didn’t fix/solve your problem,eg won’t read/recognize Burned cd’s and dvd’s whether burned on a windows machine or a Mac… then either the laser lens in the drive is very dirty, or the optical drive itself is toast/done…could be that the cd’s/dvd’s you burned have failed, i dunno… anyways, your official options would be to take it in for evaluation, lens cleaning and/or replacement of the optical drive as required/needed , at either an AASP ( apple authorized service provider) or Apple Store with Genius Bar… or just use an external cd+ dvd /dvd reader+ burning drive that works with Mac + Windows… so that’s it.. the 2020 MacBook Air doesn’t have an optical ( cd/dvd ) drive built in at all…so you’d have to buy an external drive anyways if you wanted to use cd’s and dvd’s with it, period.,

John B

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2023 1:04 PM in response to Rayarama

Yes, as long as it’s plugged directly into your Mac or into a dock that is powered, as it uses 5 volts or more( on occasion) to work… 2.5 or 3 volts won’t work, it has to be 5 volts plus… technically any external dvd drive/burner should work as long as it says “works with Mac and Windows”… I presume you’ve already tried to use a cd/dvd cleaning disc in your 2010 Mac Mini’s optical ( cd+ dvd drive) … I’ve used the ones with brushes built in successfully) … if you did, and it didn’t fix/solve your problem,eg won’t read/recognize Burned cd’s and dvd’s whether burned on a windows machine or a Mac… then either the laser lens in the drive is very dirty, or the optical drive itself is toast/done…could be that the cd’s/dvd’s you burned have failed, i dunno… anyways, your official options would be to take it in for evaluation, lens cleaning and/or replacement of the optical drive as required/needed , at either an AASP ( apple authorized service provider) or Apple Store with Genius Bar… or just use an external cd+ dvd /dvd reader+ burning drive that works with Mac + Windows… so that’s it.. the 2020 MacBook Air doesn’t have an optical ( cd/dvd ) drive built in at all…so you’d have to buy an external drive anyways if you wanted to use cd’s and dvd’s with it, period.,

John B

will superdrive read CD burn on a Windows computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.