How to Open RAR Files on Mac?

I am in need of assistance regarding the issue I am facing on my Mac, which is about how to open rar files. Despite various attempts and downloading different applications, I have been unable to successfully access or extract these rar files. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could provide me with guidance or solutions on how to effectively open rar files on my Mac.

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 11:34 PM

Hey, Opening RAR files on Mac can be a tad tricky, especially if you're diving in without the right tools! No worries, though, I got you. Here's how I usually crack open those pesky RAR files:

FossZIP: This one's my go-to! It's lightweight, and does the job super well.

• Once it's installed, open it and it'll ask you which file types you want to associate with it. Make sure "RAR" is selected.
  • After that, simply double-click on any RAR file and it should extract it seamlessly.

More Details: https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/how-to-open-rar-files-on-mac.html

2. RAR Extract Frog: Another good one to consider.

• Just search for it online, download and install it.
  • Once done, you can right-click on the RAR file and choose to open with RAR Extract Frog.

3. StuffIt Expander: Oldie but goodie. This app's been around for a while and can handle RAR files like a champ.

• Again, a simple online search should help you find it. Download, install, and use it to extract RAR files.

4. Command Line with Homebrew (for the tech-savvy ones):

Step 1. If you have Homebrew installed, simply open Terminal and type:

brew install unrar

Step 2. Once installed, navigate to the directory containing your RAR file using the 'cd' command.

Then extract it using:

unrar x [filename].rar

Safety First!: Just a heads up, always be wary of where you're downloading these tools from.

Hope one of these does the trick for you and gets those RARs sorted out on your Mac! 🍎🔓

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 11:34 PM in response to Dreamchaser113

Hey, Opening RAR files on Mac can be a tad tricky, especially if you're diving in without the right tools! No worries, though, I got you. Here's how I usually crack open those pesky RAR files:

FossZIP: This one's my go-to! It's lightweight, and does the job super well.

• Once it's installed, open it and it'll ask you which file types you want to associate with it. Make sure "RAR" is selected.
  • After that, simply double-click on any RAR file and it should extract it seamlessly.

More Details: https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/how-to-open-rar-files-on-mac.html

2. RAR Extract Frog: Another good one to consider.

• Just search for it online, download and install it.
  • Once done, you can right-click on the RAR file and choose to open with RAR Extract Frog.

3. StuffIt Expander: Oldie but goodie. This app's been around for a while and can handle RAR files like a champ.

• Again, a simple online search should help you find it. Download, install, and use it to extract RAR files.

4. Command Line with Homebrew (for the tech-savvy ones):

Step 1. If you have Homebrew installed, simply open Terminal and type:

brew install unrar

Step 2. Once installed, navigate to the directory containing your RAR file using the 'cd' command.

Then extract it using:

unrar x [filename].rar

Safety First!: Just a heads up, always be wary of where you're downloading these tools from.

Hope one of these does the trick for you and gets those RARs sorted out on your Mac! 🍎🔓

How to Open RAR Files on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.